Duck Recipe Needed

NS4419

Duck Recipe Needed

Post by NS4419 »

Some buddies of mine and I went out duck hunting on opening weekend and did decent.

We usually just fry up some duck breasts stuffed with Jalapenos and onion which is delicious, but I'm looking for something new to try. I was wondering if anyone on here wanted to share some of their favorites.

Thanks in advance
Nathan
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Re: Duck Recipe Needed

Post by Bigrock »

Butterfly the breast, soak it in Italian dressing and then smoke it.
ottert

Post by ottert »

Duck and sausage gumbo.
Midcoast Mark
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Midcoast Mark »

Panneed Duck Breast with Port/Cherry reduction.

Lightly saute duck breasts in a little butter & softened onions/garlic.
I mean LIGHTLY: we also call this recipe Duck Sushi!
Remove duck breasts to a warming plate when outside is seared.

Add ruby port and cherries (a jar of cherries for pie works perfectly).
Reduce down to a sauce, adding a little soy or salt or black pepper or cayenne or whatever floats your boat for seasoning.

When reduced by 1/2, add duck breasts back and simmer.

Please don't over cook!

Serve over rice or pasta or old shoes.

Yum
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

I like to take a duck breast and make an incision on one of it's sides. Then stick the knife in and make a kind of cavity within the duck breast. Then I fill the cavity with cheese, jalapenos, onions, and creamed spinach. Wrap the whole thing in bacon, making sure the hole into the cavity is sealed (with bacon :D ) then throw it on the grill and cook to your liking. I'm hungry now :dance:
hogredxtc

Post by hogredxtc »

Braised duck over wild rice:
Skin and debone your duck pieces dust with flour and sear in a deep pan with olive oil. When the duck/goose/rabbit/squirrel/armadillo/woodchuck/alley cat...... is crispy and golden, remove and deglaze the pan with a cup or so of red wine. Add A LOT of chopped porcini/portobello/morel/chantrelle mushrooms, a whole chopped shallot or two or three... and a bunch of cracked black pepper. Saute until the mushrooms look just about ready to eat. Add a can of beef stock and all of the animal parts. Pop the whole mess, covered, in a 350 oven for about an hour. Remove from the oven, ladle over wild rice and get FAT!!! I've done this in a Dutch Oven on a Coleman stove before as well. It's a pain in the azz that way but the results are the same and a BIG hit at elk camp.
Beamwalker

Post by Beamwalker »

Need: Ducks, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, feta cheese, thin sliced bacon, buttermilk, TexJoy.

(1) Filet the breast off the breastbone - try to keep it as neat as possible.
(2) Using a filet knife, cut a pocket in each breast from the narrow side - about the size of a finger. Depending on how shot up the breast is, it might not work. Try not to poke all the way through or cut yourself.
(3) Marinate all the breasts after you've cut them at least a few hours, if not longer in buttermilk with a bunch of TexJoy. (Once you get it down, experiment I typically use 80% buttermilk, 10% claude's bbq sauce and 10% red wine. It looks disgusting but tastes great)
(4) Cut up onions, red bell pepper, and slices of jalepenos into 1-2 inch slivers to fit in the breasts.
(5) Stuff the breast with a clump of feta cheese, then add the onions, bell pepper and jalapeno, stuffing more feta in where appropriate. Seriously, use feta cheese.
(6) Shake on some TexJoy and wrap with thin sliced bacon.
(7) Stick them on the grill and cook, turning them every so often. Do not walk away! The bacon will cause flare-ups you have to fix. DO NOT OVERCOOK. This is why I use thin bacon, b/c it cooks faster. You want the bacon to be done, and the ducks to be rare/medium rare.

I like grilling Pineapple with this as well. HEB carries a cored pineapple that you just have to slice. Put the slices on before the ducks. It will surprise you how long pineapple can cook. Then once the ducks are almost done, put the cooked pineapples on top for the last couple minutes.
NS4419

Post by NS4419 »

Thanks guys this gives me a lot of different things to try.

Has anyone ever placing the duck breast in a brine for a few hours like you do for chicken or turkey? I've read good experiences with doing this and bad experiences with this...
NS4419

Post by NS4419 »

Thanks guys this gives me a lot of different things to try.

Has anyone ever placing the duck breast in a brine for a few hours like you do for chicken or turkey? I've read good experiences with doing this and bad experiences with this...
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

I have nothing to add, but please note the common theme of "Don't overcook".
Beamwalker

Post by Beamwalker »

Tried something new the other day, its a work in progress but thought I would share.

I had a redhead breast (2 halves) with the skin on and a couple bluewing breasts filleted off the bone.
Marinated them in wine/buttermilk/other assorted sauce mix - dusted them with TexJoy Steak Seasoning.
Then I cut up pineapple, sweet onion, bell pepper, celery, and green onion into small - 1/4 inch slices.
I bought a few of those small aluminum foil roasting pans from HEB, and put the vegetables in them - about 1/2-1 inch deep, with some wine and chicken stock.
I let those cook on the grill away from the heat for a while, until I could tell the vegetables were getting about halfway cooked.
Then I put the duck breasts on the grill over the hottest part - seared each side for about a minute.
Then I opened the roasting pans, put the duck breasts in there with the vegetables, closed it back up and put it over low/med heat for about another 8 minutes.
Ducks were RARE, and GOOD. Was able to taste a lot more of the pure duck flavor than when I normally bacon wrap and stuff.
badjuju

Post by badjuju »

Been a few years since I've had some fresh teal or gadwall but a couple of times a year I get store bought muscovy. I like to dry rub the breasts, skin on, with brown sugar, granulated garlic, sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper and orange zest. Wrap 'em in plastic wrap for 24 hours and then into the smoker with whatever chips I have laying around, between 225f and 250f for a couple hours. Pull 'em off and rest 'em for twenty minutes and slice on the bias. Like meat candy it is! If you can resist the urge to eat it all right off the cutting board, the duck works great on a tortilla schmeared with cream cheese and topped with shredded cabbage and green onions. A splash of hoisin sauce will send it right over the edge. Tastes like food having sex in your mouth. Awesome!
The Eradicator
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by The Eradicator »

I've had duck two ways by my dad that was really good. Once he just filleted out the breasts and fried them in a skillet in some butter like a steak to medium rare-medium. A little pepper and garlic on there was it. Better than steak.

The other way he'd do it was to make his dressing like for Thanksgiving, which was fresh made, half saved dry bread and half the cornbread package, then onions, celery, eggs, water, stock, etc, and he'd just cut the duck up and stick the pieces in the pan with the dressing. Then bake it until done. Fantastic.
WhiskeyBravo

Post by WhiskeyBravo »

-Take breast halves (preferably skin on) and salt and pepper
-Sear in a large PREHEATED sautee pan in some hot olive oil.
-While searing, add some fresh rough-chopped sage leaves (im talking just 2 or 3 leaves and when i say chopped i mean like each leave is in 4 pieces) and some rough-chopped garlic cloves
-Then add some duck stock concentrate (you wont be able to find this at your local grocery store most likely) it is like beef or chicken concentrate, just duck. (make a slurry: a smidge of water and the concentrate mixed in a bowl; mix until it is well incorporated)
-If you cooked it past mid-rare then dont even feed it to your dog, give it to the neighbors dog.

I have had tons of duck tons of ways. You will impress the lady with this recipe and she will beg you to go duck hunting again.

Also, if you have some fat mallards with them big ol' legs do not thow away!!!
-make a simple syrup (eaquel parts sugar and water i.e. 1 cup to 1 cup)
-Add about 1/4 cup +/- of some chili paste (not siracha, it does however have a green lid and comes in a jar and looks like siracha with chili flakes in it) to your simple syrup
-Coat Duck legs
-Grill to perfection

After your wife has these she will say "me love you long time"

My favorite though is duck gumbo, dont even ask me how to make this because i would have to type a novel