?about vacuum sealers

Terry G.

?about vacuum sealers

Post by Terry G. »

thinking about getting a vacuum sealer , what brand do you have/recommend and are bags for it hard to get?
coog99

Re: ?about vacuum sealers

Post by coog99 »

I recently purchased a Food Saver Game Saver Silver from Academy for $199. I use this regularly for meat and seafood storage and have been pleased. Bags are available at Academy, Bass Pro Shop and local grocery stores.
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

I have the mini version of the Food Saver. The "bags" actually are a roll of the material so I can make different length bags. It works great and I use it all the time. Want that $199.00 Food Saver Game Saver though :roll:
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

I bought a food saver about 7 years ago. I used it on about 20+ deer 1 elk and an unknown amount of fish, dove and hogs. It started getting finicky last year so I bought a new one. I now use both, the old one to make the bags and the new one to vacuum seal the food.
Flatfish
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flatfish »

Seal a Meal from Walmart, cheaper and works just as well, no freezer burn.
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

I don't know about the Wal-Mart sealer, but their house brand bags are crap. Thin and prone to failure. I tried em to save some money but quickly went back to Foodsaver brand.
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

I use the Foodsaver brand and Foodsaver bags with great success. We package up hundreds of pounds of tuna with them each fall and I don't think I've had a seal failure yet in any of the packages we've removed from the freezer. The only thing you need to be careful of is to ensure that you don't suck any liquid into the seal area while the heating element is melting the bag closed. Liquid cools the area and will keep the plastic from bonding for an airtight seal. I usually seal twice about 1/2" apart to ensure an airtight bag.

FM
W5CDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by W5CDS »

FoodSaver V3485 - don't remember the price, but it was <$100 and it works well! And, as was mentioned earlier, bags are available just about anywhere.
spool me

Post by spool me »

I agree on the Food Saver and Food Saver brand bags, I have had a few now and the Food Save was about middle of the road on price but out performes all the others I have tried. I have used off brand bags with little success the Food Saver works for me so I will be sticking with them.