Laughing Javalina

toyakornottoyak

Laughing Javalina

Post by toyakornottoyak »

Nothing funny about it, four friends and family came over to try some Javalina,they laughed and smirked at the idea of me cooking up, what they concidered to be a pest!

I drained the meat for three days and added fresh ice every day.

It was a 40lb er and I got the front qrt and ribs I then took as much of the bluish-covering off the meat as possible.

1 slathered the meat in mustard sprinkled Tony C's all over the meat.
2 cut 1/2 slits into meaty areas and stuffed them with garlic, onions, and serano peppers.
3 placed 1/2 pk bacon strips on top of the beast(too keep moist)
4 wrapped in heavy foil,,,,alot of foil!
5 cooked on grill,lowest possible setting for 2hrs no need to peek, poke, or prod it will be ready in two hrs! Trust me!

Sides were raw Tomato wedges with Tony C's sprinkled on top, thin onions slices,limes wedges,and fresh corn tortillas hot off the grill!
So when my guests ate it they laughed cuz they could not believe how good,moist,and perfect it was!
Last edited by toyakornottoyak on Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sanditos
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Laughing Javalina

Post by Sanditos »

I definitely would not be the one laughing.
Javalina under 40# & feral under 60# is fine fare in my opinion. :clap:
castnblast
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by castnblast »

Javelina is great eating. not gamey either despite the smelly gland. I smoke them in quarters just like wild hogs. you are correct - 2 hours.

I rub mine down in salt and fresh crushed garlic. I salt it very liberally. Then I rub it down in olive oil, and cover with fresh crushed black pepper. I'll smoke them for 2 hours @250, basting with a water and olive oil mixture every 30 minutes. After smoking for 2 hours, then I place in turkey roaster with 1/2 inch of water in the bottom, and steam/bake it till it begins to pull off the bone (350 deg about 1 hour - 1.5 hours) Remove from oven, let sit 15-20 minutes and slice. This works great for shoulders too! I do the same with ferral hogs, but just cook longer if they are larger.

I have cooked many Javalina quarters letting my guest believe they were eating hog, and they never knew the difference! :lol:
toyakornottoyak

Post by toyakornottoyak »

Castnblast, that recipe sounds delic, too.I also tricked sum family by cooking up ground venison into meatballs with ragu and served em up sandwich style! They never knew! LOL... :dance:
bowhunterchris93

Post by bowhunterchris93 »

Lemme go to a sewer and grab a rat and eat it. It's the same thing. Javelina is in the rat family. They aren't swine. I have always heard people say its good in so many different ways. But my opinion is just that. I will keep doin what I'm doin. And that will not be eating a nasty rat
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

bowhunterchris93 wrote:Lemme go to a sewer and grab a rat and eat it. It's the same thing. Javelina is in the rat family. They aren't swine. I have always heard people say its good in so many different ways. But my opinion is just that. I will keep doin what I'm doin. And that will not be eating a nasty rat
Javelina is absolutely not in the rat family. They are not pigs either, but do share common traits and it's believed common ancestors.
deputydawg

Post by deputydawg »

Hmmmmmm keep doing what your doing but I think you might be mistaken. I think the chief is right. A quick goggle search showed this......

The javelina is also known as the collared peccary, named for the white band, or collar, that runs across the shoulders. Contrary to popular myths, javelina are not members of the rodent family, nor are they actually members of the pig family (although many hunters commonly refer to them as pigs). Their characteristics are unique enough to place them in a separate family with two other species of peccary: the white-lipped and the Chacoan.

The 3 most common non-hunting related questions we get about Javelina

Are Javelina related to Pigs?

Yes, well kind of. Javelina (collared peccaries), and pigs (swine) are members of the order Artiodactyla, suborder Suiformes, sharing a common ancestry dating back some 30 million years. But, because of significant anatomical and genetic differences they, have been placed in separate families - pigs in the Suidae family and Javelina in the Tayassuidae.

Tayassuids are pig-like animals that are found in the southwestern United States, south to central Argentina. All species have contrasting areas of white or yellowish fur on their chests, backs, or faces. Each of the three species is currently placed in its own genus: Catagonus wagneri, Pecari tajacu and Tayassu pecari. Tayassuids are known in the fossil record from all continents except Antarctica and Australia.

Are Javelina related to rodents (like a big rat)?

No! Javelina are not related to rodents other than they are both mammals. Rodents are in a completely different family order.

So what or who is their closest relative?

Javelina belong to the suborder Suina with pigs and hippopotamuses being their closest relatives.

Some persons have claimed that javalina are members of the Rodent family and therefore no more than a big rat. This is absolutely false! They are NOT RATS. Javies are more closely related to the hippopotamus and rhinoceros than they are to any member of Rodentia. The teeth, stomach and tail all clearly differentiate between the two.