Sugar Cane Skewered Shrimp

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Sugar Cane Skewered Shrimp

Post by Yaklash »

SUGAR CANE SKEWERED SHRIMP

I got this from a cook book and it is the best way I have ever tasted to cook super jumbo shrimp. I once got a vegetarian to eat 2 of these shrimp (first meat she'd eaten in almost 10 years), after she saw the prep and smelled them on the grill.

• 1 habanero, seeded and diced
• ¼ cup peeled and diced ginger
• 2 kaffir lime leaves
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
• 1 lemongrass stalk, thinly sliced
• 16 jumbo shrimp (U-10 count), peeled (except for the tail section) and devained
• 12 inch long piece of sugar cane, 1-1/2” in diameter

Combine the habanero, ginger, lime leaves, soy sauce, honey, basil and lemon grass in a large bowl. Add the shrimp, mix well and chill for 1 to 2 hours in the marinade. Prepare outdoor grill. Cut sugar cane into eighths lengthwise to produce 8 skewers that are slightly tapered to a point at one end. I have found that I have to trim some of the skewers down to keep from being too big to go into the shrimp without tearing it in half, especially at the tail end.

Remove the shrimp from the marinade. Thread 4 pieces of shrimp onto 2 skewers, with 1 skewer going through the heads and the other going through the tails. The shrimp should be as straight as possible to prevent curling while cooking, Repeat with the remaining shrimp and skewers, each holding 4 shrimp. Grill the shrimp about 6 inches from the heat source until charred and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the shrimp to plates and serve with something like a corn-black bean salad or a pineapple-corn relish.
Alternately, you can broil the shrimp about 10 inches from the heat source for 3 minutes per side.
arachi45

Re: Sugar Cane Skewered Shrimp

Post by arachi45 »

Man...
I see you're a great Chef.. Just realized how many great recipes you post! :clap:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

arachi45 wrote:Man...
I see you're a great Chef.. Just realized how many great recipes you post! :clap:
Well I can cook but I'm not a chef :lol:
I was grew up in a household of 9 and Mom raised us all to cook and clean. Add 30 years of cooking for my own household (ex-wife didn't cook much) and you need to make stuff that tastes good or you'll spend all your fishing money at restaurants. :lol:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

And this recipe is awesome. My favorite way to eat shrimp, but you need U-10s or U-8s to pull it off. And good luck finding that type if like leaves. I eventually just went to a nursery and pulled a few off of the only like trees they had. :shock:
Jason21

Post by Jason21 »

Ill be heading up to Oklahoma this weekend to visit my mom! Im going to give this recipe a try! Ill post some pics! Thanks