more numero unos

let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

more numero unos

Post by let's go »

These are two Numero Unos tied by Bud Rowland. No wonder there is such confusion about what they really look like. :?

BTW - His 15 lb 6 oz trout is now the official state record :D

http://www.lagunamadre.net/numerouno1.jpg

http://www.lagunamadre.net/numerouno2.jpg
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

That's interesting.
MarkT
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by MarkT »

When you've caught the State record it must be fun to keep 'em guessing. The description on the Dargel site says it is a modified wooly bugger, so that would match the second fly you posted. The first fly just looks scary.

Mark
popasan

Post by popasan »

thanks for the pics Scott.....i read a few articles about how he changes his designs constantly, now i believe it..... :)

glad that Mr. Rowland got the record.....

Larry
MarkT
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by MarkT »

How is that beard/weedguard attached to Numerouno2? Is that mylar tubing aroung the fore-body, eye and weedguard?

Mark
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I did my weedguard with flared deer hair.
Attachments
numero uno.jpg
numero uno.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
P1080024.JPG
MarkT
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by MarkT »

That looks pretty close to the original. Dang! I just completed a couple of supply orders and did not order any of those curly tails.

Mark
northpaw
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by northpaw »

I saw a photo in the Gulf Coast Fisherman mag I think last year that showed a small pic of the Uno in it. That particular version looked more like #1 in your links, but without the silli leg near the weed guard. Running with the idea I tied up a few using a little imagination. Took some to Arkansas last summer and they worked great on smallies in the mountain streams. Down in Port A., I had a ball with one on a falling tide fishing a deeper gut off of a flat. In my experience the critical element is weighting the fly right to get a retrieve to keep the fly at the desired depth and have the tail swim. Lotta fish attracting qualities in his pattern though!
northpaw
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by northpaw »

I saw a photo in the Gulf Coast Fisherman mag I think last year that showed a small pic of the Uno in it. That particular version looked more like #1 in your links, but without the silli leg near the weed guard. Running with the idea I tied up a few using a little imagination. Took some to Arkansas last summer and they worked great on smallies in the mountain streams. Down in Port A., I had a ball with one on a falling tide fishing a deeper gut off of a flat. In my experience the critical element is weighting the fly right to get a retrieve to keep the fly at the desired depth and have the tail swim. Lotta fish attracting qualities in his pattern though!
kc kulhanek

Post by kc kulhanek »

By no means am I a expert coastal fly fisherman, but I sometimes wonder when guides or anyone else say that you have to use big bait or flies to catch big fish. I think Mr. Rowland has shown everyone that a good fly fisherman can take 'em on anything, sight casting or not. (small Numero Uno and a 15 lb. 37" fish.)