Question about a fly

LiverDog
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Question about a fly

Post by LiverDog »

Hey gang;
Does anyone here ever use a needle fish fly. If so where is the best place to use it? Jetties, surf, channel? any help would be appreciated.
LD
kc kulhanek

Post by kc kulhanek »

I've never personally used one, but I know guys that use them for Cuda down south on their big trips. The only thing that I have tied that resembles one is a pattern resembling a Ballyhoo (basically a baitfish pattern tied on the back of the hook with red on the front). This might work well in the surf or something tied on a 1/0 or a slightly smaller size 2. A lot of folks use cut Ballyhoo in the bay which you can net at night around P. Mansfield to S. Padre(Port Isabel). I'm not a bait fisherman, but these baitfish patterns have produced for folks I know.
Last edited by kc kulhanek on Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiverDog
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by LiverDog »

Cool;
Thanks for the reply.
LD
landlocked

Post by landlocked »

I have used needle fish flies in the keys for barracuda. The pattern I used was real simple to tie. Four to six inches of chart. supreme hair tied towards the bend. Wrap red thread to the eye and put the women of the house to work. Braid the supreme hair as tight and far as possible. Wrap the end of the braid with thread and whip finish. Done. I have used epoxy and flaxament to fork the tail and coat the hook shank for longevity. For 'cudas we double stripped as fast as we could and they provided some outstanding strikes when the bonefish are stubborn. What are you planning to catch down there with needle fish?
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

LD, do you ever make it out to the blue water rigs? Try a sinking line with a chartreuse needlefish....The barracuda will tear them up.
LiverDog
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by LiverDog »

I have never fished out in blue water yet, but I am plannig on doing it in June on the B-Bill party boat. I can bring it with my 10 weight Reddington.
I was thinking that this would be a good lure for the Jetties in Port A. I just have never cast this humongus fly. The two that I have were bought at Orvis on a whim before a trip to the coast. So I was looking for advice on where to use something like this. Both flies have two very large hooks (I dont know the size). Thanks for the replies though.
LD
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Check Lefty Ray's site and tie up some Macarenas. Also some big clousers, Deceivers and poppers on an Intermediate line would top my list.