Need help adjusting my fly

BoneDigger

Need help adjusting my fly

Post by BoneDigger »

selection for fishing. I hear lots of names of flies that are used (clouser minnows, etc.) but am not sure what they look like. Is there a book I can order online that has nothing but pictures of all of the different types of flies? Or, pictures of flies and information on how to make them (in case I do get into this fly tying thing). I saw some books at the local Barnes and Noble but most of the fly tying books had minimal numbers of fly pictures. Lots of information on technique and little information on the varieties of flies available.

Todd in Tyler
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

This site should be able to give you all th e information you could want. Pictures, techniques to fish the fly, tying steps and recipes. One stop shopping: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Enjoy! :lol: :lol:

fishin'
freefl2

GREAT RESOURES

Post by freefl2 »

Some place one of the fellas placed a few links of great catalogs.
Places like The Fly Shop, and Dan Baileys have nice catalogs with color photos these cover most of the flies you will normally use and some you will never use.

Also there is a book called the The Fly Tiers Benchside Reference it is an expensive book like $90+ it has great close up color photos.

NOW the good news someplace on TV I saw an ad for Fly Fishing/Fly Tying magazine or something like that and they were GIVING this book away with a 5 year Subscription for less then the cost of the book. I wish I had more details and exact names, but since I just bought a $200 rudder the drool dried up as soon as I thought about reaching into my wallet LOL. I can't make any promises, but I may have it on Divo so I will go through them tonight and see if I can find it, I only have 23 fly fishing events recorded lol.
kc kulhanek

Post by kc kulhanek »

I'm not sure how muck you tie, but I've got a book called Umpqua's 1100 greatest flies. It's got saltwater and freshwater. It gives the name and picture of the fly and the materials used, but not instructions. There are also numerous videos and direciton sheets you can order form places like Featercraft that will teach you all the good trout, flounder and Redfish patterns like the Clouser MInnow, Lefty's Deciever, and so on. Hope this helps. :wink:
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Try these:

Twin River Anglers Tying Bench
http://www.traflyfish.com/tying/index.htm

Saltwater Fly Tying
http://www.saltwaterflytying.com./

Reel Time
http://www.reel-time.com/
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Here is something I posted a while back. Or get Greg Burlocher's book. Texas Salwater Classics.

For fly fishers this is one of the best times of the year. The first couple of months are when the new fly fishing catalogs are mailed out. These typically contain pics and info on the new products that were introduced to the fly shops and mail order houses at the September fly fishing trade show. Catalogs are also a good way to learn some of the terms used in this community. Some have better pictures than others and some contain more written info rather than pictures. Above all you will learn that most brand name products are sold at list price and no discounting occurs (unless it is a discontinued item).

Back when I started casting a fly, there was no fly shop down the street so I could massage the merchandise and certainly no internet to surf for details. Saltwater gear and accessories were very limited but coldwater trout gear was everywhere. Catalogs were all we had back then and they have certainly improved in quality and in the number of them.

Below are some of the ones I like and a few notes on each.

Blue Ribbon Flies, West Yellowstone, Mt.
www.blueribbonflies.com/
This is an old favorite of mine. It is very heavy in coldwater trout info but these guys are very good at innovating new flies. They have some saltwater fishing stuff and have come up with some notable bonefish flies that have Texas saltwater applications. These are the guys who first came up with the fly fur material years ago.

Bob Marriott’s, Fullerton, Calif. (across the highway from Disneyland)
www.bobmarriotts.com/
Bob’s catalog is the thickest there is on the planet. This is the only one that I know of that is not free. It will cost $5.00 but it will be refunded when you order something. Good pics and good info.

Dan Bailey’s, Livingston, Mt
www.dan-bailey.com/
Dan’s catalog is a good one but the pics could be a lot better.

Feather-Craft, St Louis, Mo
www.feather-craft.com/
Although in black and white (cream), Ed’s catalog contain a bevy of written info. Opinions and recommendations are included throughout. Great info, but hardly any pics.

Westbank Anglers, Jackson Hole, Wy
www.westbank.com
Way before they opened (and closed) their shops in Texas, their catalog was one of the best. Good pics and good info.

Kaufmann’s Streamborn, Portland, OR
www.kman.com
Great catalog, great pics, great info. Heavy saltwater info, even though these people are in Portland.

The Fly Shop, Redding, Calif.
www.theflyshop.com
Although small in size it has the best pictures of any catalog. Good info and new items are highlighted. This is the one to get if you bother to order any catalog.

Cabelas
www.cabelas.com
Good info, good pics. Has gotten better over the years.

Orvis
www.orvis.com
The granddaddy of them all. This business invented the mail-order concept. Most items are private labeled with the Orvis name on it but by looking at the other catalogs you can ascertain who made it. Other than the fly rods and few other items, Orvis does not manufacture anything. Great service and warranty.

L.L. Bean
www.llbean.com
Good pics and good info. The items they carry are split almost 50/50 between private label items and brand name products. Good service.

I am sure I have left some off, but these are the bulk of the better ones out there.
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

speaking of Orvis.com, has anybody tried the animated knot tying thingy? It is the coolest thing since peanut butter ! Even better than sects (ultra religious groups)

fredtoo
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

yeah, Fredtoo, I have used it and it is pretty neat.

ANd guys........Don't forget the sticky at the top of the page for flytying websites. If you run across a site, post the link there too. That way we all have one-stop shopping for that info instead of searching tons of posts...