Lefty Kreh On Casting

FishDFly

Lefty Kreh On Casting

Post by FishDFly »

I borrowed this from Dan Blanton's board and found it interesting.

Posted by Lefty Kreh on February 04, 2004 at 09:00:12:

Hi Folks,

While staying with Dan last week he said there was considerable chatter on the board about my style of casting.

I do not consider it a style---since I use four principles of casting to make any cast.

One of the misconceptions is that I ALWAYS advocate taking the rod well behind you before making a forward cast. That is NOT true. If you are casting a small fly and want accuracy--even if you are casting a heavy fly and want accuracy--you need to make the rod tip to move forward in a vertical position and stop in the direction you want the fly to travel.

If you will carefully read the fourth principle it says you move the rod back farther WHEN YOU NEED MORE HELP ON THE CAST--and does not suggest you go back every time.

The only way you can move well behind you and stop without drifting is with a side cast. With a side cast you can also move the rod much father behind you (to load it longer on the forward cast) than you can in a vertical position. That is the reason for taking the rod back to the side. I do not suggest throwing the line in ovals--that wastes energy. Follow the principles and you will throw a flat line and tight loop or an open loop--when you need.

I would like to correct that idea that this is my style of casting. I have learned if you use the four principles (which we are all bound by) that you can make any cast you can with a rod--from a 25 foot dry fly presentation to throwing a big striper fly across yards of water in the wind. Understanding these principles allows you to adapt to existing fishing conditions--something I believe is not possible with some casting methods.

I would hope most of you would take the time to read what follows and think about it.

Lefty’s concept of why we should look at fly casting instructions differently

The one thing that I think would sell more rods, reels, lines, trips, and all tackle is if people could cast better. I am sure if they could, they would become much more involved in the sport. I believe that the reason we have so many inept or poor fly casters are the methods we teach. For many years I taught the methods most instructors do today. But, I found many flaws in the methods.

It is important to realize that a powerful person, big and strong can and will cast differently than a 120 pound lady who is 50 years old. I BELIEVE THE BASIC PROBLEM IS THAT EACH INSTRUCTOR TEACHES HIS OR HER SPECIFIC STYLE OF CASTING. But that style may only be applicable to students who have the same physical capabilities for that style. And, that particular style may not allow the person to make many fishing casts.

WHAT WE NEED IS NOT A STYLE OF CASTING, BUT A BASIC METHOD THAT ALL OF US CAN USE TO TEACH. IT SHOULD BE A METHOD THAT APPLIES TO ALL INDIVIDUALS and ALL FISHING CONDITIONS.

For that reason many years ago I began to teach the four basic principles of fly casting. A principle is a rule of physics that cannot be violated. Regardless of how you cast, Steve Raejeff, Bruce Richards, Mel Kreiger or me — we are all bound by these four principles…indeed the first guy who picked up a rod was chained to these principles. Every instructor has been faced with the problem when working with someone and they tell you that isn’t the way Mel, Joan or Lefty’s video said, etc. We have confused them with many conflicting instructions. I am sure some instructors, who have spent years developing their own style, will not want to join such an effort. But I believe that using these four principles will help everyone.

I certainly don’t claim these principles as my own—they are principles of physics that have existed since the planet was created.

Let me give just two examples of why teaching the clock method confuses people. Principle Number One says you cannot make a back or forward cast until you move the end of the line.

Those who teach by the clock tell students to make the backcast at 9:30 or 10 o’clock. Regardless of the rod position related to the clock—you cannot make a cast until you move the line end. One more example: Another Principle says the line will go in the direction the rod speeds up and stops. Clock people teach that you should stop the rod at 11 o’clock on the forward cast. Take a dart in your right hand and hold your left finger at the 11 o’clock position. Throw three darts, releasing each one at 11 o’clock. On the first stop release the dart traveling toward the ground and the dart will go in the ground. Then release one going straight ahead—the dart will go straight ahead. Then stop at 11, but traveling upward and the dart will rise. Other say that the line follows the tip--but halfway through a stroke if you stop the rod momentarily--the line will go in the direction of the stop--even if you dropped the rod tip to the ground.

Regardless of where you stop with a rod tip, a dart, a stone, a spear or anything you project—it will go in the direction of the stop.

I think most instructors would agree that the second most screwed up cast is the roll cast. Almost all instructors, books and videos suggest that you raise the rod hand, bring the rod just beyond vertical and drive it toward the water. Some notable instructors say if you want the cast to go farther, accelerate faster. Look at the Principle that says that the line is going to go in the direction of the stop. If you drive the rod tip toward the water—that’s the direction the line will travel. It is why almost all casters make a poor roll cast.

I believe that if anglers understand the Principles of casting that all fly fishermen will have more fun, will cast better and buy more tackle. I also think they will fish more.

Fly Casting Principles

Regardless of the individual’s casting style all fly casters are governed by the following four principles.

(1) YOU MUST FIRST MOVE THE FLY LINE END BEFORE YOU CAN MAKE A BACK OR FORWARD CAST. This causes the rod to bend or load, storing energy. It is also good fishing technique to lift all line from the surface before making a backcast.

(2) ONCE THE LINE IS MOVING THE ONLY WAY TO LOAD THE ROD IS TO MOVE THE CASTING HAND AT AN EVER-INCREASING SPEED AND THEN BRING IT TO A SUDDEN STOP. The sudden stop if often called a power stroke. Applying power spoils the cast. It should be called a speed up and stop stroke. The faster you accelerate the rod hand and then the faster you speed up and stop the rod tip, the faster the line will travel. The size of the loop is determined by the distance the rod moves (or drops) in the final moment of the cast during the speed up and stop.

(3) THE LINE WILL GO IN THE DIRECTION THE ROD TIP SPEEDS UP AND STOPS. If on the backcast, the rod tip stops at any angle going up (or rising) the line will go straight in the direction the tip stopped. If the rod tip stops going down and back then sag is produced in the line which must be removed before a forward cast can be made. With almost all forward cast the rod tip should stop in a direction either parallel to or slightly climbing above the surface.

(4) THE LONGER THE DISTANCE THE ROD TRAVELS ON THE BACK AND FORWARD CASTING STROKES THE LESS EFFORT IS REQUIRED TO MAKE THE CAST. The shorter the rod moves through a casting stroke, the harder you must work to put the same load in the rod. When you need to cast farther, throw heavier flies, defeat the wind or to make a number of special cast (even when trout fishing) the rod must travel farther back and forward. Being able to take the rod well behind you on the backcast will allow you to make many different cast and produce more fish for you.

I hope this clears up some of the confussion regarding my thoughts and methods of teaching fly casting.

Lefty
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

I had Lefty show me in 5 minutes more than all the others have shown me in hours. Lefty is a very observant and patient instructor. When you think you have delivered the perfect stroke and ended up tossing a tailing loop that goes 30 ft., he will let you know exactly what you did and how you go about to correct it. I really enjoyed my short visits with him. He's a real treat to talk to.
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

I agree AC. He is such a pleasure to hear speak and take instruction from. I learned so much about my casting in just a few minutes with Lefty. Still trying to get rid of 30+ years of terrible habits but I am constantly working on it. Then the instruction I received from Al Crise only reinforced what Lefty had already told me about MY casting style. LOL Kinda sucks but I'm working on it.
Lefty has that special ability to watch your stroke for 3 casts and then tell you one thing that will help make it all better. I know when he gave me just one particular tip I was able to cast 30' further on the very next cast. Amazing to me and it was with so much less effort than what I had been doing previously.
All I can add is to buy his books and pay attention and practice. It really works, whether you call it Lefty's method or the basic principles of all fly casting, try it.
I learned alot from the day we got to spend with Lefty in Austin a few months back. If you ever get a chance to go and hear the man give a presentation by all means make every effort to attend; you will not be disapointed.

fishin'
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Animal Chris wrote:I had Lefty show me in 5 minutes more than all the others have shown me in hours. Lefty is a very observant and patient instructor. When you think you have delivered the perfect stroke and ended up tossing a tailing loop that goes 30 ft., he will let you know exactly what you did and how you go about to correct it. I really enjoyed my short visits with him. He's a real treat to talk to.

AC & Fred
If you haven't already, y'all might think about signing up for Ed Jaworowski's seminar in Rockport, Texas, at Memorial Park on 22, 23 and 24 May, 2004. I've got to say he's the best I've seen/heard. I guess that's why Lefty calls he the instructor's instructor. I don't know how many spots are left, but if you contact MD, he can give you all te information.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Barry, Right now my wife has me scheduled to spend that weekend at Galveston Island State Park. That in itself is not a really bad deal. If it's like last year and the weather cooperates, the surf was full of nice jacks of 15-20#, plus we have renters already scheduled that week for our place in Rockport....that's not to say that things might change between then and now. Have a good one.....AC