drier

FLYYAK

drier

Post by FLYYAK »

I had a old rotisserie moter seems to work well. 8) :D
Puck

Dryer

Post by Puck »

Hit the hobbie catalogs. You can get all of the components for under $30, excluding the wood, and with just a little skill you can have one the fits your drying style. I have 2, a home-made and a Sully two speed. The home-made is infinately more adjustable as to speed. Fast when the epoxy is runny and slower as it cures.
livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by livetofish »

which catalogs?

ThX
Puck

Motors, contollers for Dryer.

Post by Puck »

http://stores.wizard.org/wizorg/catalog?pg=6

This will give you an idea as to what is out ther. Two part you need are the motor and the controller. How fast you want it to go is up to you. These things can be infanately adjustable.

I really don't remember which catalog I got my stuff from. I just knwo it took a matter of moments to get it to work, and longer to build the frame.
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

Boar

Post by Boar »

I took the top fan motor from a old microwave mounted a 1/4" ply wood disc to it and glued a peice of fun foam to it then monunted it to a stand took maybe 10 mins and seems to work fine think it turns around 50 rpm maybe a bit fast but better than tryin to turn 'em by hand and total cost just my time and a few cents of foam and glue
Boar

Post by Guest »

I got some cash for X-mas for the purchase of a drier. I didn't want to make one. I grabbed up a Head Spin 1 fron Nu-Wave Tackle. It was a little pricey ($80) but since it was a present I was able to talk myself in to it. I must say it is SWEET. Very small. Runs on 4 AA batteries and takes up very little space on my desk. I looked at several before buying. This was by far the most "space friendly". 7RPM My spoons have never looked better. I love this thing!
FLIES ONLY

Post by FLIES ONLY »

Sorry that post about the Head Spin was me. 4got 2 sign in.
Dave Speer

Post by Dave Speer »

See the following website for a very inexpensive 21 RPM motor:

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=18&category=172

P.S. been away from TKF for awhile and I see a new fly board! Very cool!
MarkT
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by MarkT »

I've been looking at that 21 rpm motor that Dave wrote about. Will a 12V motor like that one run reliably at a lower rpm on a 6V power supply?

Mark
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

I had that same question. Then I thought about using 115VAC from the home outlet. I looked at their Power Supplies on the same web site and found a 12VDC adapter (part# 21964) for $2.25 that should work with that motor. I looked for a pot switch that I could use to regulate the amount of current to the motor from the adapter. I didn't have any luck finding one there. What a shame too. You have to have a minimum order of $10. I have only $8.20 so far.
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

The motor will probably work just fine at reduced voltage. It is a very low current draw at 12V. Speed reduction will be proportional to the voltage reduction ...to a point. It has to have enough current to get started. That's where you could run into problems if any. At 6v you may not have any problems, especially for the amount of time you would expect to run the motor. Long term and on a continuous run you could have some premature failure. For the price....go for it. :lol:
As for the pot switch, you can find something probably at Radio Shack. Better might be to put a sufficient wattage resistor in series with the motor to drop the voltage to the motor. Just a resistor and a switch. We're talking low current again here so the resistor wattage could be pretty small (1 watt or less). Resistor costs ~ .50. Need to measure the resistance or better yet the current draw of the motor at 12V with a load on it then do the math for the resistor size.
MarkT
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by MarkT »

Fishin', thanks for the wiring info! Joe, we'll have to compare notes on our drier projects using the American Science & Surplus motor. I just spent about an hour combing the AS&S catalog and found too many things I'd like to buy. I did order a Tessel Tile set for $1.75 which should supply enough 3/16" foam to make about 1000 VIP poppers. Also, found a pin vice for $2.25. That catalog is full of items with fly tying possibilities.

Mark
Puck

Link?

Post by Puck »

MarkT wrote:I just spent about an hour combing the AS&S catalog and found too many things I'd like to buy. I did order a Tessel Tile set for $1.75 which should supply enough 3/16" foam to make about 1000 VIP poppers. Also, found a pin vice for $2.25. That catalog is full of items with fly tying possibilities.

Mark

Admitted, I am a bit time challenged. Could you post the link for us? I know I would appreciate it.
Dave Speer

Post by Dave Speer »

SFC_Puck.... look about 3 or 4 posts up... it's there.

Now I've opened a can of worms. I had that motor bookmarked as another rod builder friend of mine sent me the link. But I know nothing about electricity, wiring. I assumed it was the type of motor you just plug into the wall. Looks like I may not be able to use the motor myself.

BTW if you need to flesh your charge out to $10, one suggestion is to buy some alligator clips for your turning wheel.
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

The 21 rpm motor that was shown on this post earlier is just right for this application. Joe got a couple of the motors and I'm installing them inside of old computer power supplies to make a drier. Looks like it will be a very nice drier and for just a couple of bucks. Should be able to do the whole thing for less than $15 if you have an old computer power supply that still has the +5VSB working.
Power the motor from the +5VSB wire (violet) and the power supply does not have to be fully turned on. The little motor is very quiet and runs at about 10 rpm off of this lead.
I'll post more later when I finish the project. :lol:

fishin'