TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

By Ron Mc
bones72 wrote:... but as a disabled guy tying keeps me occupied when I can't get out. Its why I haven't made it to the coast yet. My back keeps going on me. I can tie a few flies then rest my back and then tie a few more. I tie a wide variety because tying one pattern can be tedious. I will probably have few more to post later today.

I know many people who tie flies for entertainment - have full fly boxes they'll never open - but yes, it's a way to plug into a fly fishing affection when you can't get to the water.
I created the epoxy crab on a day like that - Stevo and I were inventing flies and drinking beer in Kerrville.

The epoxy crab, btw, has one really useful spot - the bare sand in a pass or along the mangroves bordering a lake.
Both redfish and black drum have seen me, turned away, shuddered, ran back and grabbed the fly.
As long as you keep your stealth cool, they think you're a heron.
By bones72
I have a few crab flies I have been working on. May have to see what ya'll think. Haven't done any with epoxy or UV stuff yet but may have to give that a whirl. Which reminds me I may have to send the wife for some more Sally Hansen's. No matter what thinner I use once its at about a quarter of a bottle it remains like molasses. The effect was worse in Colorado. The best thing about here is I can forget a Sharpie cap for more than five minutes without the pen being irretrievably dried out.
By Ron Mc
sharpie makes really nice paint pens, also - lacquer that you can still remove with denatured alcohol.
By ben_beyer
I ordered some Daichii 2546 hooks today from 239 Flies. I thought about ordering one of their kits too but another time. I just hope they are still doing some business with the red tides and all.

I'm going to see what I can do without a drying wheel but I also did some research on how to build your own using low RPM motors from Amazon. Few $10/portions of parts, some plywood and a scrap of 2x6 maybe for a base, and a little elbow grease.

I need to go by a Hobby Lobby or Joann's to see what they have in foam and hobby grade lite ply for the wheel.
By ben_beyer
Ron Mc wrote:something else you might consider - you can get some nice wire-bending pliers from Micromark.
I use mine all the time for making leaf springs in antique reel repairs, making homemade single-hook barbless spinners to loan on the Guadalupe tailwater,
and also for bending my Trokar hooks with TSL grasswalkers.
you can also buy these tools individually
https://www.micromark.com/WIRE-LOOP-PLIER-SETImage

Follow up question. What radius of bending pliers do you suggest?
By Ron Mc
You should be able to make those work - with mine, I also like a pair of nylon jaw pliers to grab the end I'm applying the reaction load
By ben_beyer
I ordered the pliers and I'm going to start setting up a fly tying area on my desk in my office. I'm going to start trying to tie during my lunch break since I can at least get a fly or two tied in 15 minutes whereas when I get home I'm dealing with young children lol.
By ben_beyer
I cleaned up a portion of my desk at work and started moving my fly tying equipment. Between yesterday and today I even tied 2 flies. Yesterday I started with the low fat minnow and then today I broke out the crawfish pattern I got from Postfly. One of the materials will take a little getting used to but it still turned out OK.

I also got my wire bending pliers in and I cleaned the oil off of them tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll break out one of the 2546 hooks and a cutout and try tying a spoon fly. I think spending 15-20 minutes during my lunch break is going to help with improving my tying skills.

20191112_131330.jpg

20191113_131303.jpg

I understand, sounds like the Christmas Bay Area, […]

Bull Reds in the Marsh | Video

I'll just go ahead and embed it for ya, All Water[…]

Flounder Run | Fishing Report | Video

At least a couple times a month I like to get out […]

Flounder Run | Video

At least a couple times a month I like to get out […]