Down on the creek with Sneaky Pete

bones72

Down on the creek with Sneaky Pete

Post by bones72 »

Well went down to the creek this morning. After seeing Kayak buddy's report from yesterday I got the gumption to go and see how the green fish were fairing in the heat. Well the spotted bass were there in their usual abundance and as eager as ever to take a fly. They were chasing minnows and tadpoles and whatever even dimpled the surface. Water was warm I felt no real change stepping from the 78 degree air into the water at 0645 in the morning. One of the springs had no visible discharge while the other two I have found seemed to be bubbling just as hard but that could be due to the water being at least two foot down from where I had seen it first in June. Only had one largemouth of any size take and he came on a #4 Zonker. Still can't manage to get them in. I bumped up to a 12lb leader with 10lb tippet and watched him rub me along a limestone shelf to pop the line as if he knew exactly what he was doing.
It's hot I mean real hot especially since I am used to the much cooler much drier air of Colorado. I am hoping Texas weather goes how I remember it. I would get excited about breaking out the shotgun for dove season and then either on the opener or a few days before the first cool front of the year would come along with usually a storm or two and drive the birds south. Here's to hoping. Also hoping that there is a fall bite somewhere in the state for some good fishing. The coast, the creeks, the lake doesn't matter much just want something.
Add description
Add description
Last edited by bones72 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Down on the creek with Sneaky Pete

Post by Ron Mc »

sneaky pete catches everything, trout, bass, and my buddy got this fat warmouth on the upper Guadalupe. .
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice. Good to get out.

Fall is normally a great time to fish here, at least along the upper coast. Last year, the weather here on the upper coast was pretty awful from late in August through early spring. Way, way, way too much rain, wind and storms with hardly any beautiful and comfortable low humidity days. Last two autumns have been pretty awful with Hurricane Harvey setting the tone in 2017.

I’m itching to get back in the kayak, I’ve been out one time in the Commander this summer. But for the years prior to 2017, October through about February were my favorite months to fish the salt, at least from a kayak. That time period normally cooler, more comfortable conditions, less crowds and power boats, and abundant numbers of fish to be found.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

You gave me something to look forward to karstopo
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Fishing the middle Guadalupe, all through the summer, you find river bass stacked in deep chutes.
That first late Oct cold snap moves them out of the chutes and into riffles and shallow runs - the fall bite.
(if you try the chutes, won't find a single fish there)
One such day I caught 70 slowly moving downriver with just roll-cast and swing.
And yes, if you can get to the coast instead, everything best about coast fishing is happening then.

We fished 3 weeks after Harvey, and the fishing was excellent. Everybody in Rockport was also happy to get our business.
Kayak buddy

Re: RE: Re: Down on the creek with Sneaky Pete

Post by Kayak buddy »

Ron Mc wrote:Fishing the middle Guadalupe, all through the summer, you find river bass stacked in deep chutes.
That first late Oct cold snap moves them out of the chutes and into riffles and shallow runs - the fall bite.
(if you try the chutes, won't find a single fish there)
One such day I caught 70 slowly moving downriver with just roll-cast and swing.
And yes, if you can get to the coast instead, everything best about coast fishing is happening then.

We fished 3 weeks after Harvey, and the fishing was excellent. Everybody in Rockport was also happy to get our business.
Ron fish the surf in early fall and toss baitfish patterns in the high tides down on PINS and you can catch bluefish, a 5# blue is the most fun I've had on my 8wt. I don't know if there is an official blue fish run, but definitely a great fight. A few of them fought till the death so I grilled them. With prep the are a great tasting fish.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

We used to camp at Cedar Bayou for my dad's last-weekend-Sept birthday trip. Catch cut bait in the bayou during day, and surf-fish all night.
The shock of a bull red in the surf runs up and down your spine - I've lined a few reels and had several 60-lb swivels straightened, though pinched shut with pliers.
Good news is my dad also landed bull red.
Dues paid, we also hit a couple of blackwater mornings in the surf, where you could walk on rafts of mullet and every wave crest carried a daisy-chain of surfing specs - among the best ever surf fly rod fare, though I'll still take the back of Fence or Allyn's lakes casting to speeding spec sign.

ps - when my dad was working contract after he "retired", he and my mom rented a house on Long Island Sound in Milford, CT, and he used to fish the fall bluefish run.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

The fall bluefish run on the east coast is something special. Used to eat them up on the lower Potomac after squirrel hunting in the morning. Had over a dozen names for the different sized fish, choppers, gators, sharks etc.... . Tie into a school of them of the fish over five pounds on light gear and its a riot. They'd ball the bait up and just go ballistic.