new Mexico Rainbows

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

new Mexico Rainbows

Post by Prof. Salt »

I spent last week chasing elk near Raton, but every moment not hunting was spent playing with the 4 weight below our cabin. The ranch has a little lake that has rainbows, and since I had never caught rainbows on a fly before, I really wanted to give it a whirl. The first evening it was 18 degrees with driving snow and ice covering everything. Steam was rising off the water as it cooled, but I was excited to fish. Once I realized that the trout were not bothered by the cold and preferred a more aggressive strip, I began to catch them consistently. By the end of the week I had fished in snow, rain, fog, and sunshine. The fish were especially fond of a black or black and green wooly booger, but a few were enticed to eat Clousers, ant imitations, and a few other assorted flies. By the time we left I had caught and released 103 trout up to 21". Hunting elk was fun, but trout on the fly was really a hoot!

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: new Mexico Rainbows

Post by Ron Mc »

You were in the Sangre de Cristos, and there there was famous water all around you on both sides of the border.
You were within miles of Costilla, Conejos, Brazos.
thanks for the photos

btw, what water body were you fishing? Kinda looks like the Brazos meadows at Corkins.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Beautiful Fish! Thanks for sharing!
rockin4m

Post by rockin4m »

nice fish!!!
Rio Costilla, and the Conejos River valley are both awesome.
have not done the Brazos yet.
thanks for sharing your experience!!!