Galveston

timbo
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Galveston

Post by timbo »

I will be back in my home State of Texas late October. I'll be staying in an RV around Galveston and maybe a few days in the Rockport area. I'll have my kayak and an 8wt, any good places to try that would enhance the chances of catching my first saltwater fish on a fly? I've been dreaming and salivating at the thought of a red on a fly!
rayb

Re: Galveston

Post by rayb »

In Rockport get with Slow ride guide service, he will put you on fish
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Galveston

Post by Kayak Kid »

One of my favorite fishing photos is of me standing beside my kayak in knee deep water carefully playing a slot red. It was taken by Slowride (Gene Thomas) who found the fish for me. A trip with Slow would be the quickest way to learn the Rockport/Ap fly fishing spots.

If you're too fiscally responsible to spend on a guide, then I would suggest highway 361 between Aransas pass and Port Aransas. I prefer the south side of the highway, but the lighthouse side of the road (N) can also produce some fun fishing. An advantage to Rockport is the nighttime under-the-light fishing. A 4 wt with a small white brass head fly can make a very fun time catching schoolies...,and an occasional keeper if so desired.