Fly Fishing Hill Country In September

EPerez

Fly Fishing Hill Country In September

Post by EPerez »

I'm going to be in Wimberly for a few days in the middle of September. I'd like to try some fly fishing up there but i'm not sure what to do.... Any suggestions on fly patterns and techniques?

I have an 5wt and 8wt both 9ft both floating lines. I've scoped out some spots on the blanco and surrounding creeks and also guadalupe below the dam. I'd figure water levels will be pretty low but i'm going try to fish anyways.
BowBuddy

Re: Fly Fishing Hill Country In September

Post by BowBuddy »

The fishing is good but not big ones, bring the 5wt. Small to medium poppers, size 4 to 10 streamer patterns and wooly buggers, crayfish patterns, and try Clouser minnows

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BowBuddy

Post by BowBuddy »

Also bring a back pack put 6 bottle waters in it

BowBuddy

Post by BowBuddy »

https://youtu.be/zZQFRbX0owI
Here’s my last trip we may get rain between now and than

EPerez

Post by EPerez »

Thanks for the advice! I am familiar with those fly patterns.

Are the fish usually in deeper holes? Or does that depend on water flow/temp?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Just a heads up, land owners along the Blanco are notorious against anyone recreating in "their" river. Most access points down river of the State Park in Blanco have no parking signs up to a mile from where a road crosses over the river. Probably best to avoid creeks as they're more than likely private property.

Llano Bug in Yellow; Wooly Bugger in Olive, Brown, and Black; Small poppers in green and black; Crawfish in natural colors; and some sort of shad imitation such as a clouser or cypert minnow.

Best presentation is to cast up current and let the fly drift down into pools and pockets. If fishing pools work the banks that have shade/overhangs. Guadalupe Bass like hanging out in current to ambush their meals.
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

land owners along the Blanco are notorious against anyone recreating in "their" river.

I've had enough of those experiences through much of the hill country and beyond that other than the coast I spend my time fishing Oklahoma and Arkansas now.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Yeah, I had a run in with a landowner on the Sabinal River two years ago, claiming I was trespassing on one of three private rivers in Texas. She didn't call law enforcement on us, but we had a discussion on the side of the road. I ended up contacting the GLO to verify I was correct and I was.

Can read about it here: http://lonestarchronicles.com/a-tale-of-trespassing/
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

here's the fly for hill country rivers
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8#p1627038

you name it, it's caught them

ps - for getting down in the holes and especially chutes, you can't beat a Teeny T-130 sinking line with Teeny 4' tapered leader and 18" fluoro tippet.
I fish this line 100% of the time in warmwater, unless I'm going to a surface popper/slider.
I fish Teeny line even to roll-cast/swing in riffle water.
Advantages of this line for streamer fishing - you're never hinging lead on a long leader, when you strip a fly, it doesn't yo-yo up and down like bait never do (excepting earthworms), and it's the shortest possible distance from your rod tip to the hook point.
EPerez

Post by EPerez »

Neumie wrote:Just a heads up, land owners along the Blanco are notorious against anyone recreating in "their" river. Most access points down river of the State Park in Blanco have no parking signs up to a mile from where a road crosses over the river. Probably best to avoid creeks as they're more than likely private property.
Yeah so i visited this creek last year and had no problems. There weren't any no parking signs near the bridge where we accessed the creek but even still we parked 100 yds or so back from the bridge well off the road on the shoulder. The creek was flowing well but you could tell it was low. I waded both directions from the bridge and saw only one "No Trespassing" sign which was fixed to a tree in the creek that was fallen over. I assumed they meant that to be for the bank.

Now that i've taken a look into stream use rights in Texas I am fairly certain this is a navigable waterway by statute and maybe by use. Looking on Google maps it is about 30 feet wide where i got in (not the bank but the actual water cover (the bank is probably even wider)) and it is over 100 feet wide where it eventually empties into the Colorado south of Austin. Doing quite a few spot checks that usually landed about 45 feet wide and never less than 25 feet wide, I feel comfortable saying it averages 30 feet wide and is thus a legally navigable waterway. Also it is flowing for almost that entire distance except for a few short stretches where it dries up.

Of course I will stay cautious and off the banks. If there is an issue I will absolutely yield to the landowners. Hopefully with all the kids (including college) back to school the landowners will be a little more relaxed. I have scoped out several public water options also.