Finally something to report

Bayoutalker

Finally something to report

Post by Bayoutalker »

I found a small community lake near me that has a few fish to take on a fly rod. The fish aren't huge but still fun on a 2wt with a popping bug. The only problem is that most of the lake is not fishable as they do not allow boats of any kind and much of the lake is out of reach of the shore. It's a pity as it is a pretty place.

Here are some pics from today. I didn't get any pics of the main lake though. Maybe next time.ImageImageImageImage

Cliff
NativeSon

Re: Finally something to report

Post by NativeSon »

Nice looking spot, for sure Cliff.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Looks like a good spot for a bowfin.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Bayoutalker

Re: RE: Re: Finally something to report

Post by Bayoutalker »

karstopo wrote:Looks like a good spot for a bowfin.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Didn't see any but there are quite a few small gar and lots of turtles. The water is pretty clear and bowfin seem to like more muddy conditions.

Cliff
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I haven’t caught a bowfin in a long, long time and never with a fly rod. That water you fished looks a lot like where I used to catch a couple.

http://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Amia_calva/
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Looking good. Thanks for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

karstopo wrote:I haven’t caught a bowfin in a long, long time and never with a fly rod. That water you fished looks a lot like where I used to catch a couple.

I have caught many years ago in Louisiana but never on a flyrod. They are plentiful there. The Cajun name is choupique. One I caught weighed almost 13#. That would be fun on a flyrod but they can sure destroy a lure.

Cliff
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Bayoutalker wrote:
karstopo wrote:I haven’t caught a bowfin in a long, long time and never with a fly rod. That water you fished looks a lot like where I used to catch a couple.

I have caught many years ago in Louisiana but never on a flyrod. They are plentiful there. The Cajun name is choupique. One I caught weighed almost 13#. That would be fun on a flyrod but they can sure destroy a lure.

Cliff
1st one I ever caught was during a small bass club tournament on Lake Bob Sandlin years ago and I thought I had it won. We had about 30 min left to fish til weigh in and I was fishing the edge of some cattails when it slammed my spinnerbait and ripped toward those cattails. I yelled at my partner to "get the net and crank the engine"! Then I saw it wasn't a bass but didn't know what it was and neither did my partner. We threw it in the livewell and took it to weigh in and someone there told me what it was. I had never even heard of a bowfin before that but I've caught 2 more since while bass fishing, and they're always fun. They fight like crazy and are amazingly fast. And your right they will destroy a lure. That spinnerbait wire looked like a pretzel when he was finished with it.
Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

Here are a few pics if the rest of the pond.ImageImageImageImage

Cliff