Crawfish

BowBuddy

Crawfish

Post by BowBuddy »

I’m trying to dub better..What am I doing wrong..
https://youtu.be/MAPfXOB7znY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kirk B.

Re: Crawfish

Post by Kirk B. »

Try using less. There's already a lot of bulk on the hook from the tailing and such, and you don't really need all of the extra. I would probably have used about a quarter of what you did for a very full bodied fly. You could also stroke the fibers back at each turn to keep it from bulking up on itself.
To me, dubbing is a concealer or a shaper.
It either hides what's under it, or it provides a (usually tapered) shape for the fly body. The only thing that should go over the dubbing is ribbing material, whether thread, tinsel, wire or hackle.
Method of application matters, too. You used a dubbing loop, which makes the want to stand out from the hook, then you wrapped thread over it to make it lay down. Pinch dubbing would have done the same thing, without the extra material and work. If you want the dubbing to be super secure, you can pinch dub one leg of your loop, and twist it to lock it down, making a dubbing rope. Choose the method that gives you the outcome you want. Noodles lay flat, brushes stand proud.
Oh, mercy. I hope you wanted the long answer, lol.
I'm enjoying the patterns you have been posting. As soon as I quit working 7 days a week, I'm going to spin up a couple.

Kirk B.
BowBuddy

Re: Crawfish

Post by BowBuddy »

Thanks I can use synthetics, but not the real stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk