Sunfish near Bryan/College Station?

ben_beyer

Sunfish near Bryan/College Station?

Post by ben_beyer »

I have a couple 4wt fly rods that I'm looking to use more this summer and try fly fishing out of a kayak.

I bought the first rod that is 8' when my wife and I were living in West Texas and we used to go camping in the mountains in New Mexico. Thankfully my company relocated me to somewhere with water above ground (I.E. lakes and the coast near by) and I added a second 9' 4wt but I haven't found any good places around town to catch fish with it.

Are there any good spots for sunfish in some of the lakes that would be within a reasonable drive from Bryan/College Station?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Sunfish near Bryan/College Station?

Post by kickingback »

Somerville. All the shallows as well as submerged structure.
And Gibbons Creek but it is only open Fri, Sat and Sun but good there as well.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

There’s tons of ponds in College Station with sunfish and bass. Check out this thread for more details.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... ?p=2198305
This forum is a gold mine of information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to try Gabbard Park for practice and I'll see if I can find some spots on Somerville.

I've tried behind the Bush Library but I haven't caught anything. Maybe trying the wrong flies though.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Talk to the folks at the Overlook Marina and they will tell you the best spots to catch sunfish. Good people!
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I had a chance to go over to Gabbard Park this weekend and I caught a small sunfish on a popper (now in the trees :D ) and a small bass.

It was good practice and my fly cast is improving big time. Someone posted that the sunfish on Lake Somerville are starting to move on to the summer spawning areas so I might have to try my fly rod from the kayak soon.
IMG_3419.jpg
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

It’s a start! Thank you for not taking a photo with the rod clenched in your teeth. I never understood that fad among fly chuckers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you want to catch a mess of sunfish go to Lake Conroe and fish the docks and bulkheads in shallow water 2'-10' deep.
Use your sonar and side imaging if you have it and look for a bunch of completely round circles on the bottom near the docks and bulkheads anywhere 1'- 20' away.
It is spawn time and they will make their beds in circles and lay pebbles around it to draw a mate. You can see these round circles everywhere and the sunfish are plentiful to fight off a jig in their nests!