Carp

BLML

Carp

Post by BLML »

Hi all,

Looking to land my first carp on fly. Have a couple days off in July.
Any suggestions for San Antonio or Austin area?
I could use the kayak but would prefer a wade fishing area.

Thank you!
B
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Carp

Post by Ron Mc »

The best luck I've ever had targeting carp was during a cottonwood seed fall - that was down from Tejas Camp at the top of Lake Georgetown.
On size 18 egg hook, tied scrap white marabou with brown thread and sight-fished several bruisers that were circling under the cottonwood trees.
I know people fish mulberry seed patterns (or a little piece of plastic worm) with the same timing.
I would think a good oak caterpillar pattern might work well right now.

Also randomly caught some big ones in the upper Guadalupe and Pedernales, drifting big flies.
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

An old friend invented this pattern a long time ago and was very successful with it.
http://www.trashonthefly.com/2009/05/13/sucker-punch/

Of course now there are many carp specific flies out their most of them being weighted. Best success I've had has been with the Backstabber and the Heads Up flies (easy to find via google).

As Ron pointed out the upper end of lakes in the shallow flats that contain some grass,weed, etc. are prime areas to sight cast for them.

Certainly not an expert on the subject just some observations from my meager successes.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I've mentioned it before, but I have had excellent luck catching carp with coffee bean 'flies'.

Simply file a shallow groove into a very fresh coffee bean. Glue hook into the groove.

Drift the 'fly' as you would a dry fly for best results.

Take plenty of the 'flies' with you because the carp crush them when they grab the hook.
BLML

Post by BLML »

Thank you all for the advice!!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

btw, I was out bicycling the greenway today, and there was some light cottonwood seed fall, so you might tie up a few.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Noticed just a little more cottonwood seed fall today - if you get out any time in the next couple of weeks, this could be the killer fly.