The Fly Fishing is heating up around here

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

The Fly Fishing is heating up around here

Post by GoDoe »

I am about worn out. Mother Nature and her wind machine has about done me in the last few days.

Monday I got skunked. Yep, skunked. Went expecting clean shallow water and found the North wind had mucked it up. Not enough time to load back up and drive to somewhere else so we worked to try to find cleaner water. Never did. The fish we did see were straight up wind and casting to them didn't work out so well. By the time I laid down the push pole and grabbed the fly rod the boat had floated 30' farther away. It was sort of mucky so no wading there.

Tuesday I got 7. Most by drifting in the Solo and casting to spotted fish in clean 1'deep water. They were pretty scattered but fairly eager when the fly was in the right place. Howling wind early but laid down some later.

Wednesday I got 8. Another big wind day and tough stalking and making cast up wind but the water was clear enough and shallow enough that I could see fish 75' away. All fish caught wading 8"to 12" of water. They are moving up really shallow as the days get warmer and they are hungry. In a lot of cases they have their heads down looking for food. No tailing but occasionally a little funky swirl of water as they ate and that would catch my eye and lead me to the fish.

Everywhere I have found clean, skinny water I have found fish. I assume they are in dirty, shallow water too but I can't see them so I don't spend any time there. I can see the grass starting to grow back. It won't be long and the fishing will be hot.

Working on travel plans to return home. I need some rest.

John
Tombo

Re: The Fly Fishing is heating up around here

Post by Tombo »

I am always glad when visitors can catch fish. In your case you fish more than I so maybe I am the visitor.
Thanks for the report and am still thankful for pulling me out of the mud.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Cool! Glad you caught a few days in a row. That is good times for sure!
flyfishingfinatic

Post by flyfishingfinatic »

Headed to POC next week; what areas did you hit? I was looking at Mule Slough...

Thanks for sharing your report!
El Guapo77

Post by El Guapo77 »

GoDoe,

I have never tried drifting and sightcasting from the soloskiff.
Do you find this technique to be as effective as anchoring and targeting fish on foot?