8 pound bass

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: 8 pound bass

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Ron Mc wrote:
imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:Which do you guys think would be best for a beginner? They have these in stock and they have the 8' 6" in a 5 wt or the 9' in a 6 wt. - Will be mostly pond fishing I think but would also like the option for the coast as Ron suggested.
The 6-wt for sure, if you want to take it to the coast.
Shorter rods fit better in tighter spaces, but glass fly rods work better than graphite in shorter rods.
6-wt in general is a one good all-around rod. It works for trout, bass, and redfish.
There is enough mass in the fly line you can feel it, which helps with timing on your cast.

The main thing the line decides is what size hooks you can throw. A 5-wt would limit you to about size 8 hooks, useful for freshwater, but too small for salt water. The 6-wt would let you fish down to size 4 long or size 2-1x salty fly hooks.

Maybe if you decide later you really like this, you can add a shorter 5-wt glass rod for fishing from your kayak and getting into tight spaces.
Or the 7/8 CGR for a dedicated bass/coast-kayak rod.

They also have a 9' in an 8 wt. What do you think, better option than the 6wt?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I think you would find the 6 wt more useful, more versatile, more fun, and better for learning.
That 28" (10-lb) largemouth in my photo was sight-fished on a 7-1/2' glass 6-wt (from the 70s)

Another big bass caught on the same rod
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Ron Mc wrote:I think you would find the 6 wt more useful, more versatile, and better for learning.
6 it is then
Thanks Ron!
I printed your previous post of tips to take with me for reference on my maiden outing. May sneak out for some practice tomorrow after work. Will update you guys on how it goes.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you're welcome - good luck and have fun - the main thing

to practice casting, you can tie a piece of yarn or feather, or something with a little air resistance to the end of your leader.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Wow! Awesome bass Kars! Well done!
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: 8 pound bass

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:
Ron Mc wrote:I think you would find the 6 wt more useful, more versatile, and better for learning.
6 it is then
Thanks Ron!
I printed your previous post of tips to take with me for reference on my maiden outing. May sneak out for some practice tomorrow after work. Will update you guys on how it goes.
Well turns out they didn't have the 6wt in stock at my local Cabelas (even tho I called 1st and they told me they did....grrr) so I had to order it online. Should be here in about a week. Can't wait!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk