Post by Bayoutalker »

RIP Lefty, tight lines.

Cliff
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Lefty Kreh Has Passed

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Stephen Hawking yesterday. Left today. I really don’t like this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Lefty may be teaching Hawking to cast a perfect loop right now....

@cigarsnjeeps
Bayoutalker

Re: RE: Re: Lefty Kreh Has Passed

Post by Bayoutalker »

Cigarsnjeeps wrote:Lefty may be teaching Hawking to cast a perfect loop right now....

@cigarsnjeeps
And Hawking explaining why it works that way...

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'll pony up. Long ago, listened to a Lefty tape on a long drive to fish the Rockies.
Though he referred to double haul as a "trick" you don't need (years later, proved him wrong on that, it's the only way to properly cast a parabolic taper rod) - I did learn one invaluable lesson from him - and this really is a trick - that works.
Anything you do with your wrist in a cast is wrong - breaking your wrist is English you add to the leader, and is the biggest cause of slapping the water on a backcast.
Lefty's tip that stuck with me for the next 30 years:
To avoid breaking your wrist in a cast, turn your wrist so that you can't see your thumbnail, i.e., reel toward your cheek - then it's not physically possible to break your wrist.

I've had great fishing experiences as a result of my long association with the GRTU board - you name them, I've fished with them or at least hung out with them, a couple on tv.
What we share in common, and Lefty was certainly president of the club - put a fly rod in his hand, and he turned into a kid - and that's what made him infectious.
and if you guys read your Ezekiel, there's fly fishing in New Jerusalem.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I think I own all of Lefty's books and have watched so many videos on his flies and tactics. He was a fly angler extraordinaire and he will be missed.
Lefty's made fly fishing possible for many and I know I will always use his knowledge he has passed along.
Rest in peace!
Hawking was brilliant and had good theories on space but he has been refuted by many and I think I remember him getting political at one point about climate. He will be missed but not like Lefty.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I'm late to the party, didn't know him but looked him up now. Lot of info from him, looks like we lost a great person.

Check Google play books. There is a $50 ebook called "casting with lefty kreh." You can read a free sample without buying the whole thing.
There is some excellent information in the free preview though on how to prevent an injury. Super valuable. I've been looking for that info for years after I got fisherman's elbow for a few months awhile back. Took casting easy after but I always feel I'm just one bad cast from screwing up my elbow again. This info looks solid.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Also RIP Geoffrey.
Even during the experimental years of the ‘70s and ‘80s, we loved you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bayoutalker

Re: RE: Re: Lefty Kreh Has Passed

Post by Bayoutalker »

Chubs wrote:I'm late to the party, didn't know him but looked him up now. Lot of info from him, looks like we lost a great person.

Check Google play books. There is a $50 ebook called "casting with lefty kreh." You can read a free sample without buying the whole thing.
There is some excellent information in the free preview though on how to prevent an injury. Super valuable. I've been looking for that info for years after I got fisherman's elbow for a few months awhile back. Took casting easy after but I always feel I'm just one bad cast from screwing up my elbow again. This info looks solid.
I have "Flycasting Fundamentals" by Lefty on my Kindle. It was just a few bucks but has some really great info.

Cliff