Beavers Bend (BB) Oklahoma Trout Fishing

Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Going to drive up to BB on the 18th for a couple of days to relax and do some fishing.

I have never been there, but have heard good things about it. Any hints or tips from you guys on where to fish or things I should be aware of or look out for? I'm staying in a cabin in the park.

@cigarsnjeeps
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Beavers Bend (BB) Oklahoma Trout Fishing

Post by Piscator »

I caught a 20" Rainbow in a deep hole just downstream from a road in the fly fishing area. Using a San Juan worm. Caught 2 nice Brown trout on Panther Martin in the river near the cabins. I fished for awhile in a kayak until I got yelled at by a park ranger. Bass were swimming around everywhere. Can only kayak fish below the Regulation Dam. The river near the cabins and downstream is full of fish. However, it is hard to fish and you can't when they are generating. Saw a lot of nice trout and little trout, but they would not even look at a fly. These were all in the trout creeks below the spillway. We stayed in a cabin on the river below the generating discharge.

There is a fly shop on the highway turn in and there was one in the park. They can give some hints on where and what to use.
Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

@cigarsnjeeps
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

Call beavers bend fly shop and ask what flies have been working lately. Guys there are really nice. Last time I was there egg patterns worked well. Also take a few dry flies with you just in case. I had good luck on elk hair caddis flies tied with some kind of dropper underneath. Just be careful fishing the lower part because they release water sometimes and you better get the heck out of there. Also, wear bug spray because ticks suck...don't ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by StrykerDM on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cigarsnjeeps

Re: RE: Re: Beavers Bend (BB) Oklahoma Trout Fishing

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

StrykerDM wrote:Call beavers bend fly shop and ask what flies have been working lately. Guys there are really nice. Last time I was there egg patterns worked well. Also take a few fries with you just in case. I had good luck on elm hair caddis flies tied with some kind of dropper underneath. Just be careful fishing the lower part because they release water sometimes and you better get the heck out of there. Also, wear big spray because ticks suck...don't ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I planned on dropping by the fly shop to get some info and picking up some flies to show my appreciation. Image Image

@cigarsnjeeps
Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Had a good time. Beavers Bend sure is a pretty place. It was a rough time trying to catch fish in the extreme heat (Sat it was 96 / Heat index 117). But I was fortunate to catch a couple, lose a couple, and miss a couple since most people seemed to be coming up goose eggs.

I prob won't go back in the summer months because people were swimming in the fishing areas making it impossible to fish which was frustrating. I will wait and go in off season when the fishing will be better anyway.

Next, I want to go up and try out the Little Missouri near Murfreesboro Ar. Ill do that in off season too. Here is the trout nugget and lil bigger one I caught..
ImageImage

@cigarsnjeeps