Afternoon Redfish Stalk

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Afternoon Redfish Stalk

Post by karstopo »

Today, this afternoon, had all the important must haves for a good fishing trip. Time, the only essential ingredient, I had. The weather was good enough. Thunderstorms on the horizon, but they rumbled and looked to be drifting away. Wind was just enough to cool things off some.

Stalking redfish in a marsh is about as much fun as I know how to have. The ramp, how I love an empty ramp, was vacant except for one boat launching at the same time as I launched my kayak. My new buddy in the boat was excited. He told me they had been slaughtering the trout and reds lately. Off we went our separate ways.

I paddled along and soon spied a redfish crashing bait up around some giant drift trees. The shot was between the logs. I gave myself a one and ten on the shot and a one in 50 on getting the fish in. I nailed the 1 in 10, got an instant take. Redfish ran directly under the far tree. I could see him on the other side. It didn't last real long, good fish broke off.

I took some more shots at some fish with a missed hook set and some cold shoulders. Found another red around another log. Got the take, fish headed for the shell, but I powered it out of the worst stuff. Mid slot, 5 pound fish to hand.

This shoreline featured moving water falling off to 3' pretty quickly. Every 50-100 yards, a fish was busting bait tight to the bank. I found another taker 200 yards from the previous fish. This fish was not as strong or big, but got down in the current and made the fight interesting. Fish 3 to hand, had one random little red in between as the 2.

I moved into a lake. Water was a little clearer. Saw lots of fish. Ran over some. Saw some up in the cordgrass but it was impossible to get the fly to them. Saw a red crashing bait outside the grass, made the cast, got the torpedo take. Redfish really shallow zooming towards the fly. Boom! Fish went out into the shell, but my 7-8 wgt CGR was enough to steer it away.

So 4 fish to hand. 2 slot fish. Many seen. Many shots. Missed fish. Fish not interested. Spooked fish. Fish impossibly close and I could not quite pull it together in time. Fish up in grass. All good stuff.

My new friend was at the ramp as I returned. I said we must be on the same schedule. He caught one red. I beat him. Childish as it is, I felt good for an instant. But the day was way better.
Attachments
20170706_192122.jpg
20170706_192401.jpg
20170706_191858.jpg
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Afternoon Redfish Stalk

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Setting the standard! That's how's it's done, Karst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Cool story karstopo. Living the dream that day - for sure! :mrgreen:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Setting the standard! That's how's it's done, Karst.

I think I demonstrated plenty of how it's not done, haha. It was just so good to be in with some fish and have some chances. And one boat seen all day. I need to get back to more weekday afternoon fishing. Yes, it's hot in the summer but if it keeps people off the water so that every shoreline isn't covered up by kayaks or boats, I'm for it. The water was very warm, but that didn't seem to bother the fish.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Drifting Yak wrote:Cool story karstopo. Living the dream that day - for sure! :mrgreen:
The afternoon was needed and much appreciated. I get a high from these type of trips that defies explanation. Some sort of endorphin induced euphoria that lasts for days. Worldly cares melt away. Sometimes, it's a bear trying to carve out time for a trip and a negative inertia sets in. I can't let that happen.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

karstopo wrote: Some sort of endorphin induced euphoria that lasts for days. Worldly cares melt away.
We all feel that "induced euphoria" from time to time. When this happens to me I say that "I feel alive - for days". Nothing like it!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

This was the morning wake up call yesterday. And yes - today - I feel alive!
Sunrise 7_6_17.JPG
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Heap good stuff there Drifting Yak. Heap good.

bigbuzzard

Re: RE: Re: Afternoon Redfish Stalk

Post by bigbuzzard »

Drifting Yak wrote:This was the morning wake up call yesterday. And yes - today - I feel alive!
Sunrise 7_6_17.JPG
Looked just like that where I was at. Beautiful morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

karstopo wrote:
Drifting Yak wrote:Cool story karstopo. Living the dream that day - for sure! :mrgreen:
The afternoon was needed and much appreciated. I get a high from these type of trips that defies explanation. Some sort of endorphin induced euphoria that lasts for days. Worldly cares melt away. Sometimes, it's a bear trying to carve out time for a trip and a negative inertia sets in. I can't let that happen.
Great report! And I totally know what you mean about trying to find time to get out there and fish. I may have to start doing the afternoon fishing thing also.

eightweight

Post by eightweight »

karstopo wrote:

yes.