Had myself a helping of easy fishing today

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Had myself a helping of easy fishing today

Post by GoDoe »

Fished alone today as I am between company. Ran the Solo 6 miles from the launch looking for clean, shallow water. The NW wind had the water pretty dirty in places it is normally very clean. The stretch of water I headed for looked good upon arrival and I bumped a couple of fish just before anchoring up to get out and wade.

I hadn't made it 20' from the Solo when I saw and then caught my first fish of the day. 19.5" in 10" of water. Nice start. Then it got much better. I was seeing a tail here and there and lots of reds cruising the grassy shoreline. The sun was filtering thru the clouds so the visibility was not great but it didn't make much difference there were lots of targets swimming around.

I got 5 fish in an hour and had at least 15 others either ignore or follow and not eat or it would have been a blue ribbon day for sure. It was still a great outing based on my last few days. It seemed to quit about 11 when the tide quit coming in. I didn't catch a fish from 11 to 1 with lunch a lunch break squeezed in there.

I was considering calling it a day when a 26"er did the "red fish slide" 25' from my rod tip. I laid the celery colored merkin crab, tied on #6 weightless, right in his path. He came to eat but I jerked it away from him too soon. I hate when that happens. I recast the fly right on top of him as he did a 360 looking for his escaped meal. He was more than pleased to find that it had reappeared and obliged me with an eat. Nice fight and a fish that looked like his twin swam by our ongoing tussle.

It was quitting time when I released this 6th fish of the day. Back to the truck just before two having had a very good, short, day. Plenty of time to do laundry and go to the grocery store.

I just checked the tide station and that storm out there brewing has the water pushed up nearly 1' above predicted tide. That will be trouble for tomorrow.

John
flydoc

Re: Had myself a helping of easy fishing today

Post by flydoc »

Gotta luv days like that.. WTG..
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: Had myself a helping of easy fishing today

Post by MobyYack »

what general area were you in?