What a beautiful day on the water at Port O Connor...

cougmantx

What a beautiful day on the water at Port O Connor...

Post by cougmantx »

...and not one fish.

Had been watching the weather and a friend and I decided to hit Port O Connor on Monday. Water was crystal clear, hardly any wind, sun was great and had a experienced and talented fly fisherman on the bow of the skiff. Headed to the back lakes. Poled our butt off and nothing. Saw mostly Sheepshead but anyone that has cast to them understands just how weary they are. Saw a couple of rat reds and some nice flounder but never had a shot at them. Still, I wouldn't have traded it. I noticed there were no birds working and the only bait we saw were horse mullet. No shrimp shallow and I think that had a lot to do with us not finding the reds or trout. Not many boats, nice and quite, and a beautiful day.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: What a beautiful day on the water at Port O Connor...

Post by karstopo »

The hunt is a lot of the fun don't you think? I like it where the fish throw in some curves and wrinkles. If it was automatic, where's the sport in that?

I've tried to crack the sheepshead code, but have been mostly unsuccessful even getting off the shot with their hyper vigilance. And when they have been calm and not so wary, they been almost uniformly uninterested in my offerings. I'm batting 2 for about 600 or 800.