Conditions are improving, AP

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Conditions are improving, AP

Post by GoDoe »

I sat out Saturday and that was a good call. Winds were terrible all day and the water looked like a chocolate milk shake. On Sunday the winds were not quite as bad, around 17 mph, and the water had come down to just a few inches above normal.

I put in just before 1 to go look around and check some spots. It was rough out and the water was much cleaner but still a little off. At my first stop I saw two fish. One busted from the Solo and the other I got a cast at. He charge the shrimp fly, in about ten inches of water, missed it and headed to the deep.

For the next two hours I drifted and poled seeing plenty of nice size reds but not getting to cast. The water was still too deep to wade and by the time I saw them from the Solo they were gone. I was getting extremely frustrated knowing there were fish there and not being able to catch them.

About 3 I was ready to surrender to the unrelenting wind when I decided to make a long wade. The water in this spot was very shallow. Maybe too shallow as I wasn't seeing any fish. I worked my way into slightly deeper, like 1', water when finally I was able to connect with a 25 incher. I was relieved to have caught a fish at all this day. I was sure I was in the process of getting skunked.

I had finished about 3/4 of the circular wade when I spotted 3 reds laying in a sandy spot. I had seen this picture before. It looked like Winter time fishing when the reds will all collect in these big spots and keep milling around. I stood in the same spot casting to passing fish for an hour. Five of them were willing to eat my black spoon fly. One fish was 18". He was coughing up shrimp as I got him to hand. The other four fish were big, like 26"- 27". I left then still there and biting hoping to save some for another day.

If the sun will shine today the winds are predicted to be low and the water level is looking good to wade fish. Another day another set of challenges to overcome.

John
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Conditions are improving, AP

Post by Drifting Yak »

Way to grind it out John! And I bet you have slept well over the past week (with all of that fishing)! :mrgreen:
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Conditions are improving, AP

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Happy things picked up for you. Saturday was a pill for me too. Sunday funday was where it's at it sounds like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk