Montana Fly Fishing info, please

12 perch

Montana Fly Fishing info, please

Post by 12 perch »

Thinking about going to Montana within the next few months. Trying to gather as much info as possible ti help make the best decision for me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to when, what body of water is better producer, wade or float, outfitter? Any information is appreciated. I have never been to Montana so looking to make the best of this trip. I have contacted the Montana parks and wildlife, just have not received any yet. Thanks for anything provided, Steve.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Montana Fly Fishing info, please

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Where do you want to fish, and for what? There's great Stillwater trout in the northwest on the Blackfeet reservation. Also the famous rivers in the southwest like the Madison, Jefferson, etc. Pike and walleye in the east and northwest. Countless little streams and creeks in the mountains. Alpine lakes with golden trout and grayling. What is it you're looking for? It's a big state!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I've fished the Madison, Yellowstone, and, numbers small creeks. All good.

I particularly like the area around Big Sky. Good accommodations. Good food. Great weather in the Summer. Several small streams loaded with Rainbows.

The Madison, South of Big Sky offers lots of access. It's exceptionally fun when the Salmon flies are in hatch.
12 perch

Post by 12 perch »

Sorry for not listing types of fish. Was only thinking trout, but walleye might be fun. I should Have also listed I have two 5 weight and a 6 weight. Have not picked a certain area, hoping for experienced anglers to throw out a few ideas. I have heard of the madison. Small streams would be nice. Not sure if access to water is done through a guide service or if just parking roadside and walking to water is allowed. I have been checking flights , all areas seem similar in price. Thank you for information provided so far, this helps me in my search for relaxing.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I've never used a guide in my life. Public waters abound and if you're halfway decent at throwing flies, you should be able to snag a few trout on anything from emergers to streamers. Pick your poison and go to it. File a report when you're back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Can't say I've never used a guide. I usually employ the services of a recommended guide when I am fishing in a new unknown location. However, that's the lazy man't way.

Most any fly shop in your selected area can supply you with a map that tells you the rules of the river (or stream, etc) and where best accessed if you intend to wade. I never felt that I needed a guide in Montana other than when I fished the Yellowstone. You really need a float boat to fish the Yellowstone in the area that we were in.
12 perch

Post by 12 perch »

Thanks for the information and your input. I just got info from the parks and wildlife department, lots of maps . I'll be going over the info for a few days and trying to find a good walk in area. Thanks again.
Spooled

Post by Spooled »

I have had some wonderful trips in Craig fishing the Missouri. There are three or four good shops there where you can get some help, or arrange for a drift boat. September or late August is a good time for fishing dries for topwater and big trout.