The ones I could find wouldn't eat

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

The ones I could find wouldn't eat

Post by GoDoe »

The water is too high to be good fishing and too low to be great fishing. It is high and dirty with lots of floating dead grass. The tide is 7" above predicted here in AP

Today was my 7th day fishing of the last 8. I am still looking for new spots and checking some old spots I haven't been to on this trip. That 1' or less water is dang hard to find. I poled from 9 until 12 without ever picking up the rod. I did see a few fish but not in the right place or, as usual, as they spooked and ran.

This day was beginning to feel like a SKUNK in the making. I was getting tired and frustrated. I am always in a hurry to get that first fish but I should know by now you can't rush it. Just have to keep putting in the work and hope the course you have chosen leads you to some happy fish.

About noon I bumped 4 or 5 fish in 50 yds of shoreline. This seemed like the place to get out and wade. It wasn't bad. Over the next 45 minutes I spotted and cast to probably 8 reds. My wife is right "it doesn't feel good to be ignored". They didn't even show me the courtesy of chasing the fly; basically just swan by it like it wasn't there. By now I am cursing them for not behaving like proper red fish. I waded on.

Some higher fishing power sensed my troubles and sent me a gift. I saw the hint of a pod or reds loafing along. I got closer and it looked to be about 30 fish swimming in a pack. ( Licking my chops) It was a trick. I cast my fly to the edges several times and then amongst them several more times. Nobody paid me any attention. They were not spooked and I chased them around for a few minutes desperately lobbing my deer hair/craft fur shrimp right in the middle of them.

Dear God and thank the heavens one fish finally ate my offering. This little 22 incher was my trophy for the day and I was dang glad to have him to hand. As it usually goes I got my second fish not 15 minutes later on the same wade on the way back to the Solo for a hard earned lunch.

After lunch I fished another couple of hours without picking up the rod. Maybe that is not called fishing but I was on the water and working at it. So, today on the water at 9 and off at 4 with only two reds and they came in a 15 minute time frame.

Where to tomorrow......................

John
flydoc

Re: The ones I could find wouldn't eat

Post by flydoc »

Guess the 2 w/o lockjaw felt sorry for ya knowing you made the long trek from the north to muck around in the salt. Your seeing fish and that's a good thing and always tomorrow.
Rotag

Post by Rotag »

John,

It was great meeting you thanks for taking the time to talk to me about the solo.

I have been really looking at them good luck on the tarpon.

Steve AKA next door at the RV park
Last edited by Rotag on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I had similar problem this sunday. I blame full moon and cloudless night -- they were eating all night.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

The exact reason I fish at night most of the time. Bite has been good for me lately with the moon full!