Lock jaw at mid day slack tide.

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Lock jaw at mid day slack tide.

Post by GoDoe »

I was on the flats about 10:15 today to high and dirty water again. I saw a few reds so I got out and waded a big circle. No sightings while afoot there.

My buddy had a 27" from a tailing pod by 11 so I made my way closer to where he was. The water is dirty and I have never seen so much floating Turtle Grass. Around noon the wind died completely and I could see every ripple of fish movement for 200 yds.

I found myself a little pod, about 10 fish tailing, and waded close enough to drop the deer hair and craft fur fly on them. Fish on. Not big but at least I am on the score board. I chased another pod of smallish reds for 30 minutes. They would slightly tail and I would close the distance and put the fly on them. One brave sole would swim up to the fly then spook and run. I could see them coming and nearly nose the fly. The group would move off and start the whole process over again. I cast the this crew 6 time and never did a fish eat my fly.

Finally snuck up on a single, 18", on another wade and convinced him to eat a celery colored crab fly tied on #6. The wind changed and got pretty gusty from the east and that started the water to get too dirty to see fish any more. Off at about 2:30 and home to plan for tomorrow.

John
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Lock jaw at mid day slack tide.

Post by karstopo »

Reds are surely moody. Anyone that says that redfish will always eat just about anything just hasn't fished for them long enough.