Great weather and so so fishing

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Great weather and so so fishing

Post by GoDoe »

Sunday was my first day on the flats of this trip to Aransas Pass. Weather was totally opposite of predicted, it was perfect. I got to the spot at 10 and by 10:45 I had spotted a few fish and hooked up on my first one. A 23'' I spotted cruising the shore and then he turned and came right at me. I made the cast and watched him eat while standing in the Solo.

It took another hour to find more fish and this time one ate but took the fly with him. About 1 I found myself in a big clam lake as the day go hot and the tide was slack. Poling around I heard something familiar behind me. The slight splash of the tail from a member of a huge school or reds. I was out and chasing them up wind and to their rears.

Sneaking up from behind is easy but casting into a school moving away is not ideal. The first cast bust the school into about 5 pods which I spent the next hour and a half chasing around. They were not actively feeding as most of the time they ignored my fly. Of probably 20 casts into roving pods I was able to deliver to hand only 3 fish. Part of the time I was chasing them and part of the time I was trying to get out of their way as they meandered around with me in the middle of the pack. I became bored with searching for them and with them rejecting my presentation so I moved on. One of the victims had 6 big spots on one side so that was cool to see. All fish were released.

From 2 til the storms encouraged me to leave the water at 5 I only got a shot at one more red. He refused the fly, nearly placed in his mouth, 6 times. That kind of summed the day up. Even the fish I found were not aggressive. Overall the water was high and dirty, running about 6" above the predicted tides. Other than that school I saw very few fish for as much water as I covered.

Waiting for this little cloud bank to clear out and then back out looking....................

John
cougmantx

Re: Great weather and so so fishing

Post by cougmantx »

I don't know guy...a day on the water with good weather and catching 4 fish. I'll take that any day. So pretty dang good to me. Tight lines.
Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

Sounds like a good day to me too.

What are your favorite flies for reds? I've been a fly fisherman for a lot of years but mostly freshwater. I have the gear for salt but haven't given it a good try yet.

Cliff
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Man! Sounds like a good day to me too. I really need to get down to AP someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Cliff,

Ugly flies are all I use. All hand tied by me and no one would ever pay for one of them. I tie for water levels and color. Dark for dirty water, light for cleaner water. Most of the water I fish is calf deep or less so rarely will my flies have any weight on them. Just the hook, usually a size 4 or 6, and some yarn, marabou, deer hair or craft fur. Red fish are not picky. A fly in the right place will get eaten and if it doesn't then the problem is the fish not which fly.

Lately I am liking a spun deer hair front and a craft fur tail. You pick the colors. The spun deer hair gives me bouncy so the fly won't settle in the grass. In the winter I use a Merkins Crabs with mini dumbbell eyes so the fly will drag along the bottom which is grassless that time of the year.
Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

My wife is the better tier of the two of us but I manage a few too. We have some redfish crack and clousers tied along with a mix of a few others. That should get me started I guess.

My daughter lives in Port Aransas so maybe I'll see you down there some time.

Cliff
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

I'll be standing in or towing my Taxi Cab Yellow Solo Skiff. Always willing to swap stories.

John