Anyone have an Xi3 12 wt I could try?

StuckInTheMud

Anyone have an Xi3 12 wt I could try?

Post by StuckInTheMud »

I'm looking at possibly adding a 12wt to my quiver of rods. I remember casting an Xi2 a while ago, and when the Xi3 came out I had a chance to hold one but it didn't have a reel on it so I never was able to cast it. I know the Xi3 is discontinued, and I'm sure there are plenty of new models out that have all the latest bells and whistles, but I'm trying not to drop $1500 on a new combo by getting a used quality rod.

I'm in the San Antonio area, so that would help if you're close by there somewhere. Thanks!
eightweight

Re: Anyone have an Xi3 12 wt I could try?

Post by eightweight »

I don't live in the San Antonio area, so can't help you there. But for what it's worth . . .

A couple of years ago I was looking for a new tarpon rod. Caught a 12 weight Xi-2 on close out. Really like the rod. It's a true 12 weight, balances well with a 12 weight line, no need to over-line it with a 13. It will throw a 2/0 puglisi bait fish pattern 75 feet, no problem. Fast action, but smooth. The tip is fairly soft, I think, which is good for short range pick it up and shoot. It flexes through the mid section on longer casts. Enough backbone in the butt section to land the big girls, if you're so lucky.

Liked it so much, I went looking for more. Picked up a 7 weight Xi-3 for bonefish, and a 9 weight Xi-3 for reds and permit (all on close out). Beyond casting, they're all beautiful rods, cobalt blue blank with nickel silver fittings.

Good you're looking for one to cast yourself, fly rods are pretty personal. Good luck with it.
StuckInTheMud

Re: Anyone have an Xi3 12 wt I could try?

Post by StuckInTheMud »

I know what you mean, I cast an Xi2 a good while ago myself and remember it feeling like a great rod for how I cast. I'm hoping to find an Xi3 so I can confirm what i'm suspecting - that its awesome and that I should buy it, haha!