Computer Aided Design

Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Computer Aided Design

Post by Piscator »

How many of us are using computers to help with our fly design. I just finished an eye template to use to make my eye painters out of wooden dowels ( old broken cedar arrow). I am also able to check color combinations. Next is my popper bodies.
Attachments
Eye Template.jpg
Chrispyflyguy

Re: Computer Aided Design

Post by Chrispyflyguy »

Not something that I have done in the past, but it is a good idea!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

So you make six dowels progressively smaller than the next to make the eye patterns? Why do you need a program to do this? I bought all my dowels at one time (actually all same size) and then sanded the ends to make the paint dabbers different sizes. It's only the paint end that you need to sand to get the right diameter. I have 6 sizes as well but I do not overlap the paints on my lure eyes as elaborately as you have in your program. I only use two at a time to give it depth.
Good idea when you need a visual.
Chrispyflyguy

Post by Chrispyflyguy »

one advantage I could see is you wouldnt need to spend money to see how something would turn out. You could experiment with different sizes and colors very quickly to get a look you are going for and fine tune once you get the rough numbers you want.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I used a couple of old wood arrows and used my tapering tool (big pencil sharpener). Taper to different lengths and trim back to get the right size ends. Makes perfect circle. Played with them yesterday. Took a little practice to get a good even circle.

I use PowerPoint all the time for things like this. I was mainly figuring out ratios of sizes and trying patterns and color combinations. Something to do at lunch.

Airbrushed backs and bellies of 5 foil wrapped top water flies last night. Today the eyes.