Bonefishing Turks and Caicos

Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Bonefishing Turks and Caicos

Post by Blindcasting »

There was a thread on here a couple years ago about how expensive the bonefish trips were on the Turks and Caicos islands.

I wanted to post that I found a much cheaper alternative on North Caicos:

http://www.greatbonefishing.com

This outfit runs around $450 compared to roughly $1,050 for most of the guides out of Provinciales. The downside is you have to take a 30 minute ferry ($50 round trip) and then a 20 minute car ride to the boat ramp (total of about an hour, compared to the 40 minute boat ride from Provo, so fairly comparable). From the ramp the flats were less than a 5 minutes boat ride.

The other thing to keep in mind is this is almost all wading and stalking tailing or moving schools of fish in ankle to calf deep water. There is very little poling around. Also, many of the casts were at least 50 feet, and being able to cast 70-80 feet would have given me many more chances.

Fishing itself was great despite cloudy/windy/rainy conditions the morning I was there. I hooked up on 9 and landed 6 up to 7lbs. Just like last trip, there wasn't another fisherman in site the entire time we were on the water.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of going.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Bonefishing Turks and Caicos

Post by GoDoe »

Cool sounding. Can you post some pictures.
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

Here are pics of the 2 biggest, both 6-7 lbs. I didn't get nearly as many pics as I would have liked because we were wading so much and I left my camera on the boat. You can see the weather wasn't ideal.

If you click on the link I put in the first post using a PC (as opposed to an iphone or ipad) it plays a pretty good video of what the fishing is like.

Also, here is a link to my post from a couple years ago that has some pictures in it from my trip when I left straight from Providenciales.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 0&t=226459
Attachments
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_2003 (1).JPG
jeff89

Post by jeff89 »

pretty sweet. is it common to get glassed out conditions like that?
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

I'm not sure. The first time I went it was late July and conditions were perfect....low winds and blue skies.

When I was on the island last spring I didn't fish, but the weather was great the entire week. Again low wind and blue skies. On both of those trips the winds were so low that there weren't even waves at the beach.

This trip it blew pretty hard and rained 3 of the 5 days. The calm conditions in the picture were just before it started raining and the wind started blowing. Lasted 15 minutes and it went back to glass again.

If anyone has any more questions about the fishing or the islands themselves, let me know. The Grace Bay beach on Providenciales is our favorite in the world.
LUISJG
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LUISJG »

very nice
!!
I have a 10 day bone trip next week !! cant wait
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

Pink crazy charlies are what worked for me.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Blindcasting wrote:Pink crazy charlies are what worked for me.
Works for me on Redfish and Trout, my go to fly.