A fish story, the big one didn't get away, AP 3-15

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

A fish story, the big one didn't get away, AP 3-15

Post by GoDoe »

The weather has been so-so at best this whole trip, since March 2. The water has not been in very good shape either, high and dirty. Finally the last couple of days everything has been much better.

Yesterday I fished with my daughter, 25, in from Houston. She caught 3 reds on Spook Jr. There were plenty of fish on the flats but it seemed like maybe it was too cool for them to eat. After noon they and the water warmed up and I got a couple on the fly. Watched them come and get it.

Today, the fish story day, I put in at 10 to let the sun get up and the water warm. On the flats in 15 inches of water by 10:30. I poled around looking for fish and the excuse to get out and start wading. In 30 minutes I bumped into about 4 reds and when I spooked two upper slots together that was all I could take. So in the water and wading.

I always wade perpendicular to the sun so I can see 40-50' down sun and see new water with every step. The first shot I got was screwed up by tangled fly line. Always something. This is where the story part kicks in. I got two shots at fish coming right at me but my fly did not sink quickly enough to get their attention. So I stopped to change flies. I cut and tied and was standing there putting my knife back in my pocket when I looked around to see a big red fish that swam to within 15' of me. I didn't even have any fly line thru the last eye, just about 8' of leader. I slapped the fly in front of this fish about a foot and watched him engulf it. I set the hook and he tore across the flat. That nasty noise of the leader/fly line going thru the guides rang in my ear as this guy ran nearly into the backing. The commotion jarred me and bumped my knife from my hand and into the abyss, 15" of water.

I fought this fish to hand over the next 5 minutes never moving my feet in hopes I might dredge up my knife. Not to be. The fish was a monster at over 30 inches. I think maybe he swam up to me to surrender as my reputation has gotten around on the flats and he figured I was coming for him anyway :lol: I got another red, 19", 5 minutes after releasing this big boy.

For the next 50 minutes I waded the same area not seeing a single fish before spotting a cruiser at 30' out. I laid the fly 20' in front of him and as he neared I stripped it past his nose. He turned and was happy suck my fly in. This fish ran way into the backing and when retrieved to hand he was 27". In the next hour I saw a few more reds but none in the right place to cast to.

I moved spots and shortly saw a cruising fish that I couldn't identify. I thought it might be a mullet or a light colored red. It didn't make me any difference. I laid the fly in his patch. I felt that thump we all love and I set the hook. As the fish ran I still couldn't tell what is was. Kind of ran like a hard head, but no thumping as I fought it. I saw the dorsal come out of the water and I still didn't know what it was. It didn't act like a skip jack either.

The water was pretty cloudy in this spot but when I finally got a good look at this fish I could see it was a big fat sow trout. I waded her over to my boat to measure her and she was 24" right on the button. She leaked out some eggs as I laid her in the floor to take a picture. My personal best trout on the fly and maybe the only one I have ever sight cast to.

All fish were released for someone else to chase another day and we quit when the sun went away shortly after 1.

John
Add description
Add description
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: A fish story, the big one didn't get away, AP 3-15

Post by Kayak Kid »

OMG! What a great story. I needed that. Thanks so very much for sharing.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Great report! Nice trout!
flydoc

Post by flydoc »

Great write up John. Was a pleasure fishing with the master today.. Cheers
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club