Weatherman missed it huge today but to my good. AP 3-7=2017

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Weatherman missed it huge today but to my good. AP 3-7=2017

Post by GoDoe »

Looking at the forecast I was not hopeful for this day with the fly rod. I almost didn't load it in the Solo but glad I did. I intended on going out and throwing a Spook Jr to try and locate some fish for my daughter's trip down early next week. The water is still at least 8" higher than predicted and it was mostly cloudy when I unloaded a little after 8.

I was poling and drifting throwing the Spook for 30 minutes and nothing. Then I heard some splashing behind me 100 yds. I turned just in time to watch a bird diving and saw those familiar dark red/brown foreheads breaking the surface. It was a nice size school of upper slot reds popping bait out of the water.

I poled like a mad man for half of the distance then basically ran, in the over knee deep water, to within range. I was putting my fly rod together on the trek over and drawing out enough line to cast. The school momentarily disappeared then popped back up and headed right at me. Minnows leaping for their lives in front of the fury.

It took me a couple of casts to get the crab fly, not my first choice for these conditions but it was tied on already, in front to them and get hooked up. A very healthy 27" prize. As I played him to hand some of his buds swam within 5' of me oblivious to my presence as they kept feeding on. After changing to a big mullet imitation fly I was on fish for the next 30 minutes. Seeing them chasing bait and casting into the action. I ended up getting a total of 4. Two upper slots and two lower slots. All returned to join their crew.

So on flat at 8:30 and before 10 I had 4 red fish on a day I had gone to do some scouting. My buddy always says " the fly rod weighs less than one pound so you might as well take it along." For the next three hours I poled the flat never finding another suitable target and off the water around 1.

The water got dirtier as the day went on but it was mostly sunny and the wind was not too bad.
Tombo

Re: Weatherman missed it huge today but to my good. AP 3-7=2017

Post by Tombo »

You went fishing and I did not. :(
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Weatherman missed it huge today but to my good. AP 3-7=2017

Post by karstopo »

Love the report. You just never know.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club