Oh man, water everywhere AP 2-5-2017

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Oh man, water everywhere AP 2-5-2017

Post by GoDoe »

The water is crazy high. Almost 1' over predicted. The wind laid down today after last night's rain and after about 11 this morning the sun came out and stayed out. The water cleaned up quickly on the up wind side of things.

It is parking lot and cattle pasture fishing conditions again. We fished every place we could find flood water. The fish have not yet moved up on to these new spots. Saw maybe 40 reds today but most were along edges in standing grass and not catchable.

With a little luck and a little skill I was able to get 6 today. 5 were keepers and the biggest was 26". The fly today was a dark brown/black toad (sort of a crab with a tail) tied on a #4 with dumbbell eyes. The fly needs to be dragging on the sand for the fish to eat it.

We got checked by two different Game Wardens today. One on the way out, in a boat, and the second when we were loading up. She was in a truck. Both were very polite and we were all legal. Glad to see them out and checking on folks. The female warden got a kick out of the fact that we had already been stopped.

John
pshay4

Re: Oh man, water everywhere AP 2-5-2017

Post by pshay4 »

This is giving me the fever! I didn't get to fish much last year, but am planning to change that this year. I'm determined to start with the fly rod this year too. Thanks for the report!