Friday was a blow out and no sun, AP

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Friday was a blow out and no sun, AP

Post by GoDoe »

I had low expectations today and really thought if I caught a fish it would be a miracle. Wanted to get out and scout around to see how some spots looked with the current water level. My last trip was all flood tide fishing in October.

Not quite as windy today as yesterday. 22 mph yesterday, probably 20 mph today. I think I only saw my shadow one time today so basically no sunshine.

I was poling an outside shoreline and bumping a few fish close to the boat so I got out to make a blind wade. I could only see maybe 25' and that was up wind. I bumped a few myself and got close to a couple of reds busting bait but they were in the standing grass and as I waded closer they finished up what they were after. I probably waded 300 yds just seeing what the fish were doing. On the return wade I happened to be in the right place at the right time when a lower slot red busted after some bait. I was close enough to lob the black crab, tied on #6 with bead chain eyes, in the vicinity. I made a couple of short strips and he was on it. Nice little 21 incher. Water was off colored and about 1' deep.

In some other standing grass I saw an occasional tail or a flash of red as the fish ran thru chasing bait. Again I found myself in the right spot to get off a cast. This was an upper slot fish laying partially out of the water in the grass. I laid the same crab fly on the outside edge and left it there. As the fish moved towards open water I stripped it in front of him. I felt a bump but not the hard thump you expect when they eat. I set the hook and the fish slowly swam another 20' out into the open.

As I applied more pressure the hook popped out but I could still see the fish. I think I had foul hooked him but he was now cruising toward me and to my right. What the heck, right?. I put the fly right back in front of him and stripped it by his nose. As I did he turned and came toward it. Too fast, so I recast it 5' further in front of him, he is now 15' from me, and he closes the distance on the fly and inhales it. Now I know how this feels and I hard set the hook.

We danced for only a couple of minutes as he ran 60' out on to the open flat. I was just settling in for a enjoyable fight when he let it go. All you can do is laugh. I had lost this same fish twice in 3 minutes. Just goes to show you that when they are in the eating mode even a hook in the side won't deter them from having a meal.

Off the water about 3 today and the rain clouds set in thick. Tomorrow....................

John
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Friday was a blow out and no sun, AP

Post by Drifting Yak »

Nice write-up! :clap: