Windy day on the flats, 3-2-17 AP

GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Windy day on the flats, 3-2-17 AP

Post by GoDoe »

I arrived from Oklahoma yesterday to fly fish for a couple of weeks. I have never fished here at this particular time of the year. Undeterred by the wind, because there was sun shinning, I launched at 10am. All the water I could see on the flats on the drive out the causeway was blown up muddy.

I am looking for water 1' deep or less so I made a little run in the Solo Skiff to an entrance into LHL. Saw the first red in the first 15 minutes but didn't get a cast at him. The fish were few and far between but by noon I had spotted and hooked up with three of them. A 21, 22, and a 27.5. If I could see them in time I was having luck stepping out of the skiff and wading close enough to get a cast off. They were proving hungry enough to consume my offering.

I was three for three when I stopped to eat a sandwich and take a break from the pounding wind. My phone said NE at 22 mph. No matter, if the sunshine will hold. The water I got into was off colored but I could see some of the fish up to 50' away. A root beer colored shrimp imitation tied on a #2 was the fly of the day. They seemed hungry and pretty aggressive too.

After lunch I had shots at two threesomes of cruising small reds but nobody was brave enough to eat. I only managed one more fish before quitting when the sun disappeared at 2:30. Another 27.5 incher and he drug me into the backing. I watched him eat the dark crab fly, tied on #4, and start his run. I didn't think he was that big but into the backing he went.

Made it a short day. No sense working so hard in poor conditions so when the sun quit so did I. The day ended with me spotting 20-30 fish, getting good shots at 8 fish and catching 4. I will take that in 4 hours on this kind of day.

Tomorrow looks like no sun. I will have to find water skinny enough for fish parts to stick out of it to be able to see them at all. May just do some scouting for the future.

John
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Windy day on the flats, 3-2-17 AP

Post by karstopo »

Nice, thanks for the report.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Enjoyed reading your report. Hope you tear 'em up tomorrow.
TannerJames

Post by TannerJames »

Awesome report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk