I thought I had the winter time fishing figured out

Copperspoonfly

I thought I had the winter time fishing figured out

Post by Copperspoonfly »

I took my skiff to Aransas Pass yesterday. The water levels were extremely low. Most of the kayak fisherman stayed in the deeper ship channels, because the flats were mud and exposed oysters. The conditions seemed optimal. It was a warm sunny day in the winter, with low water level and an rising tide. I thought the fish would be stacked up . I spooked one slot redfish the entire day, wading ankle deep flats and the drop off.
During lunch, my buddy started throwing cheetos into the air to feed the seagulls. Soon we had flock of gulls around our skiff. A boat thinking we were on tout came charging towards us. They were disapointed to found out what was going on. They left to drift in deeper water and then anchored up. We finished our lunch and discussed where to go next. Near the area where the other boat had been drifting a new flock of seagulls were diving into the water.
We thought the guys on the boat were trying to get back at us.
This time, the birds were hovering right above the water line and were quite a distance away from the anchored boat. We come closer and saw baitfish splashing and then a trout flashing beneath the surface. With gulp white/pink shrimp tails we had one hook up after another until a pair of dolphin came along.
We tried a few other other areas finding bait but no redfish. Just as I was about to call it a day, I hooked a slot redfish on my flyrod.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: I thought I had the winter time fishing figured out

Post by Ron Mc »

sounds like you had a good day.

My logic is the winter will find reds close to holes, so they have a warm place to run to if it turns cold. And that's double true for trout.
School trout travel as much as 30 miles/day.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: I thought I had the winter time fishing figured out

Post by kickingback »

Cool report. Glad you found them but sorry no reds. Well done on "baiting" the other boater to come in close...hehe