Hill Country Fly Fishing Spring Break

russ757

Hill Country Fly Fishing Spring Break

Post by russ757 »

Howdy,

A few of my friends and I are wanting to do a camping/fly fishing trip over spring break. Due to limited college budgets, we have decided that the Hill Country would be our best bet in order to get our fly fishing fix without breaking the bank. We are wanting to camp in a state park for a few days and fish either inside the park or in areas close to it. State parks we are currently considering are:

Pedernales Falls State Park
South Llano River State Park
Colorado Bend State Park (although this park only offers primitive camping)

Has anyone been fishing in any of these parks? We have kayaks we can bring if that would make fishing more accessible, but would prefer to wade fish. We are also open to any other suggestions if you have some.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hill Country Fly Fishing Spring Break

Post by karstopo »

I've paddled the section of the South Llano between Telegraph and the park. Excellent and beautiful clear water stream! Lots of fish, but this was 10 years ago.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

The Nueces River around Camp Wood would be worth looking at. There are a couple private campgrounds that are very nice, both will be very busy during Spring Break I assume (as will any state park) . For my money the Nueces river is the prettiest Hill Country River (not counting the Devils, which I consider more of a Big Bend region river).

The Nueces has excellent access points all up and down the stretch from Uvalde to Barksdales (up river from Camp Wood). Crystal clear water with lots of fish willing to take a fly. Lots of options to float from point to point if y'all are taking two trucks, but that's not really necessary most spots are great to get in and wade either direction.

http://www.bigoakrivercamp.com/tent-camping/
http://www.chalkbluffriverresort.com/Si ... Cabins.htm

You can't go wrong with the Llano, I haven't personally fished the area around the state park, but it's popular fly fishing destination for a reason.
Lost Maples State Park on the Sabinal is worth a good look to.
I would cross Pedernales State Park off the list (not great river access for fishing purposes) .

Here's a video from my trip to the Nueces last April.
https://vimeo.com/165099477

Also depended on the number of days you have don't limit yourself to one river. Everything is no more than a couple hour drive. You spend a day and half at one river leave at 11 AM and be fishing on another river by 2pm.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Great video, Texbq.
I have crossed the Nueces in that area, absolutely beautiful.
However, I have wondered how the local landowners take to visitors on the river,
what are your thoughts on this?
Thanks much.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

From the areas I fished not a problem at all. The crossings I used had good parking along the road. It's pretty country literally and figuratively out there. Not a lot of weekend second home types that think they own the river like some other rivers.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

great video.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Bend would be your best shot at white bass during spring break.