Want to buy fly tying kit

AggieRV

Want to buy fly tying kit

Post by AggieRV »

I want to buy a flying kit with supplies. I am on a budget sso I cant go buy everything new hence here I am trying to buy used.

Call or text with anything you want to get rid of.

Kelly
979-574-9700

Thanks
Tombo

Re: Want to buy fly tying kit

Post by Tombo »

Excellent idea, and if you send me a PM with your mailing address, I will send you some materials to get you started.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Start picking up road kill. I can hardly drive past it anymore.

But really a skein of camo yarn will make Merkin Crabs from now until eternity and you get brown, dark green, light green, and black. I use this more than any other material. Next most important I would get a piece of tan craft fur. Craft fur clousers are deadly as a shrimp imitation. Now you have invested about $4 total. Mustad hooks in size 4, 34007 and some bead chain from Home Depot or an old ceiling fan and you are fishing.

Nice of you Tombo,

John
Puck

Post by Puck »

Warning: Don't really pick up road kill. The game wardens frown on that. But if you know a few folks that hunt...

As far as materials, see if you can join a local group that ties. Not only will you learn quite a bit, but they may be willing share some of what they have on hand. Another advantage here is that the group can get together and make large purchases of items, hooks, etc. and share the costs.

General rule for actually buying materials: Order/buy only the materials for 3 flies. Make sure these are completely different flies, crab, shrimp, popper, baitfish, etc. Once you are completely satisfied with your skill with these 3, buy the materials for 3 more, and completely different materials.

Good luck!

Puck
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

In the future you will yourself in Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and beauty supply shops buying supplies for tying. Recently learned about fake hair used for weaves is the same material as some expensive 'fly tying' fibers.

Years ago I had a cheap clamp-on vise and a clothes pin on the thread spool. Mainly was tying marabou on hooks as trailers.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Lots of great material at craft stores. Sheets of foam for topwater/floating flies. A dollar gets enough to do many flies. Craft fur, 10 times the amount of material for same price of what a typical fly store charges. Some of the beading chain, stretch polymer, makes great rib for various flies.

I suppose when you are following a specific recipe you will need some specific materials. Maybe with coldwater trout one needs some exotic cape or feather, but with the saltwater and in warm water, a little foam, craft fur, yarn and bead chain can take you a long way if the budget is tight. There are some dirt cheap vises out there along with tools. J. Stockard and Hook & Hackle tend to have some budget friendly tools that might rival what you can find on the used market.

If you have some specific pattern you want to try or tool you need, put it out there. Maybe someone might have just exactly what you need.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you have any pets see if any need a trim. They make a good hair to tie with. I have a Golden Doodle 8 months old and I let her hair grow from birth and she has great locks to use for flies. I haven't cut all her hair but will soon but in the meantime I simply find a nice clump and cut it off her usually on her hind legs.
After her first cut her hair will grow back curly so i have to get what I can while she still has her "baby hair".
If I need some tougher hair I go out back in my yard and pop a squirrel with my air rifle and wash and dry the skin out to use. :wink: