The time has come

Salty Bum

The time has come

Post by Salty Bum »

I have finally talked myself into buying a Yak. I have been looking at many and tested many. I will use the Yak for fresh water and for the coast. I am 6'2" and weigh around 260 depending what my better half has been feeding me. I will fly fish from it and use bait casters and spinning reels. I also want to use it for Beyond The Breakers. The Yak i am looking at the most and 95% sure is the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14. I am not afraid to admit I don't know much about Yaks and have listened to the sales people and I want to ask your thoughts. Any advice or thoughts would be welcome and helpful. Thanks in advance.

SB
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: The time has come

Post by karstopo »

Since the sales guys probably covered all the positives for the Hobie PA 14, I'll put out some things to consider as negatives or not depending on how you value each.

Make sure you can pedal pain free. If pedaling a bike causes any pain at all, it will be far worse pedaling a mirage drive. That was my experience.

True the mirage drive is removeable, but it loses a lot of its luster in shallow marshes and seems like something that's sure to snag fly line. If stalking reds up shallow is going to be anything like a staple activity, I'd think twice about the PA. You can always not take along the mirage drive on those shallow water days, but paddling a PA 14 may not be all that fun for very long.

The PA14 is very heavy. Way more than most other kayaks. And not cheap.

But most people love them. I'm really not trying to bring them down, just some things to consider.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

thanks - i did not think about the knees or the shallows like you mentioned
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

That's what I've heard as well. Ask yourself where you will be spending most of your time...shallow marshes, lakes, rivers, beyond the breakers, etc.

I have also heard they're pretty heavy. Plan on how you'll transport it (pickup bed, car top) and make sure you can get it up and down by yourself unless you always plan to fish with a buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

And where and how you're going to store it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Walker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Anegada (Caribbean - N18°44.683' W64°24.133') and Clear Lake City (Houston area)

Post by Walker »

IMHO, if fly fishing is your primary goal, then I think that a PA is about the worst possible choice of a kayak for you.

First: If you are going to be successful, you are going to be working water too shallow for the Mirage drive.

Second: The Mirage drive gear in the cockpit is going make managing a fly line a nightmare.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

I'll second what Walker said. I'd look for the best tracking kayak w/ the least amount of knobs, handles, accessories, etc. that fly line will manage to wrap around.
WolfpackRed

Post by WolfpackRed »

I would suggest trying to demo a few different yaks on the water, with my fly rod in hand, before buying. I throw all types of tackle out of my yaks and will say that you will be amazed at how your fly line will find every little thing to get caught on. I can't speak for the PA14, as I have never fished out of one, but I do like both my Native Ultimate 12 and my KC12 for fly fishing. Both are extremely stable and both have fairly open cockpits (you can keep your tangles down by keeping the gear tracks clear of depth finders, rod holders, etc.) As others have said, it really is about what kind of fishing you will mostly be doing. The best advice I got before pulling the trigger on buying a yak was to demo, so I will pass that piece of advice along. I bought both my yaks off of Craigslist and both sellers were more than happy to let me test them out beforehand. Tight lines!
Walker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Anegada (Caribbean - N18°44.683' W64°24.133') and Clear Lake City (Houston area)

Post by Walker »

You might also consider a Solo Skiff. I have had mine for 6 months, and am having more good times with it than I even imagined that I would. A 10 or 12 mile round-trip is nothing, and I have done 30 mile days in it. The boat is very stable, it will go anywhere that a yak can, and the cockpit is very clean - excellent for fly fishing.
20161030_081632.jpg
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Ditto Walker's observations. You extend your range, you can go out when the wind makes paddling or pedaling an ominous endeavor, and you have below-deck storage for your gear. A microskiff such as the Solo is the bomb.
Walker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Walker »

hipshot wrote:you have below-deck storage for your gear. A microskiff such as the Solo is the bomb.
That's one of the things that makes it so great for fly fishing - the deck is clean because you have your gear below.

I have all of this stuff inside my Solo.
161127-123351.jpg
And the hatch area is still wide open.
161127-080534.jpg
rasaid

Post by rasaid »

Hipshot, I'm slow on the draw but increasingly interested in the microskiff. Do you mind indulging a couple of questions?
-would you recommend your specific choice and engine?
-any top line issues or considerations?
-where would you send me to look and buy one?
what should I budget for the package?

Thanks in advance! Roger
jakehardgrave

Post by jakehardgrave »

I know things may be leading in a solo skiff direction, but I'll chime in that my native slayer 14.5 has an open and flat deck area that allows easy standing and fly casting. occasionally I will wrap the line around a foot rest but thats about it.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

Walker wrote:You might also consider a Solo Skiff. I have had mine for 6 months, and am having more good times with it than I even imagined that I would. A 10 or 12 mile round-trip is nothing, and I have done 30 mile days in it. The boat is very stable, it will go anywhere that a yak can, and the cockpit is very clean - excellent for fly fishing.
20161030_081632.jpg

I like those
flydoc

Post by flydoc »

100_0822 (3).JPG
100_0824 (3).JPG
This is my bud - GoDoe - in his Solo. Alot of times you need to run 7-8 mi to reach skinny water and the solo will get you there quick and poles like a dream. We were site fishing cow pastures last Oct. he in the solo and me in the portabote each with 6hp motors. The solo scoots thru a 1 ft chop like nothin. I like the p-bote for stability, capacity and folds about the size of a surf board and fits neatly between the slides of my rv.
The solo is the perfect ride for Texas salt..