How Hard is Deer Hair Spinning?

fishchase

How Hard is Deer Hair Spinning?

Post by fishchase »

I haven't tied in many many years but I've been thinking about getting back into it. Wanting to make some streamers and things but what I really want to do is tie some deer hair poppers. I've heard it is hard to do and takes some time to figure out. Does anyone here make hair bugs? How difficult is it?
I would really like to make some flies not to use, just for the art of it.
rickr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: How Hard is Deer Hair Spinning?

Post by rickr »

I don't believe it is all that hard. Just cut you a clump of hair about as big around as a pencil or a bit smaller. Trim the butts to even them out, or you can use a hair stacker (I really haven't found an advantage using the stacker). Lay the bundle along the top of the hook and, using a strong tying tread, cinch it down in the middle, and you will see it flair out. Pull a little harder and it will spin. Using your fingers push it back and repeat until you get a big ball of hair. Whip-finish the head while holding the hair back. Trim the ball to your desired shape. You may want to tie on a rubber tail for a mouse or some frog legs before you begin stacking. I am sure you will get the knack in short order. :D
elnaco

Post by elnaco »

Stacking deer hair really isn't all that complicated. Just takes time, practice, some patience and a shop vac. As rick r mentioned, you'll need to tie with some strong tying thread. I think some people use kevlar or even braid to spin deer hair. For how to spin it evenly just search some youtube videos, there's a million out there. Another thing I'd recommend if you're really serious about making poppers and stuff is getting a packer like the fugly packer (http://www.caddisflyshop.com/cohens-ori ... acker.html). That'll allow you to get it really dense which you'll need if you want it to float. You can do it with your fingers too but I've heard of guys slipping and jamming their finger into the hook. When you pack the hair make sure you pinch on both sides of the deer hair clump to make sure it stays on the hook where you want it. You'll also want some thin head cement that can penetrate down to the thread and prevent everything from spinning once you're done. Use a double edged safety razor to trim. They're flexible so you can bend it to make round heads.

The real artform of making deer hair poppers and topwaters isn't really in the stacking and packing of the deer hair, it's more in the trimming. This takes patience and a steady hand. Other than that, have a shop vac or vacuum ready.
roninrus1

Post by roninrus1 »

YOUTUBE is your friend.

Good info on there, just search spinning deer hair.
Yoffione

Post by Yoffione »

It is not difficult but requires good techniques. As pointed out go to YouTube and watch some videos. Some things that I have learned through the years.

Getting the correct thread will make your experience much better. It needs to be strong enough to get some good tension yet does not cut the hair. I see Kevlar recommended often, but it cuts the hair for me. The only thread is Unithread Big Fly.

Learn the difference between spinning and stacking. When I teach people I usually start with stacking.

When I start the thread at the back of the hook, I always put a drop of superglue on the shank. It keeps the tail from sliding down the hook when I pack the hair.

After I tie in a clump and pack it back I put in 2 half hitches and push beneath the clump with a pair of tweezers. I do this so if I break the thread I don't have to start all over. You may have to dull the edge of the tweezers as they sometimes cut the thread.

Only trim with the old style double edged razor that bends. Be careful breaking them in half.

I coat faces and bottoms of poppers with Dave's flexament.

When I whip finish at the end I pull a bunch of thread out and hook the bobbin on the vise which frees up my left hand to hold the hair back.

Go for it. Best of luck!
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

that's a great lookin lil marlin yoffione .. but i have a question when you throw it does it swim upside down ?
Yoffione

Post by Yoffione »

I have to confess, I have never fished it. It catches a lot of fisherman though.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Stacking deer hair offers no big problems. Yet, as one with no artistic skills what so ever, I can't trim wroth a darn. I would be embarrassed for anyone to see my 'creatures'.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

I've never done it because the clean-up seems like it would be awful.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

Yoffione wrote:I have to confess, I have never fished it. It catches a lot of fisherman though.

It caught me!!!!!!
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

Definitely get the fugly hair packer. Without it I can't get the hair tight enough to shave it well with the razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paddling Ghost

Post by Paddling Ghost »

I would highly recommend purchasing Pat Cohen's Instructional DVD if you want to dramatically cut your learning curve down.

http://rusuperfly.com/index.php?main_pa ... ucts_id=69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, tie with Gel Spun Polyethylene on a heavy wire high quality hook (Partridge Hooks) and use the Fugly Packer as recommended by others in this thread.