Fly line recommendations

Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Fly line recommendations

Post by Blindcasting »

Hi all.

Looking for suggestions for replacement line on both of my 8wt setups. Most of my fishing is either site casting to reds from a skiff/wading, or blindcasting when the conditions make it difficult to see fish. Been using the Wulff Bermuda Triangle on my main rod the last couple of years, but the last 6-8 feet of it no longer float. Otherwise I really liked the line.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks and hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.
skinnywaterfishin

Re: Fly line recommendations

Post by skinnywaterfishin »

I like the Rio Redfish lines. They recently came out with a Winter and Summer version.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Blindcasting, I wonder if fly line floatant could be used on the part of the line that doesn't float?

I like Airflo Tropical Punch, The Bruce Chard taper. From your description on how you fish, I fish much in the same way.
Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Doug Poudre »

Try cleaning the part that doesn't float unless you're just looking for something new.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

skinnywaterfishin wrote:I like the Rio Redfish lines. They recently came out with a Winter and Summer version.
I love Rio - it is what are on all my reels.
Bowfin47

Post by Bowfin47 »

Reds are not very line-shy, so before trashing that old line, first trim back the first foot or two and see how is works... Cost ya'
nothing and can't hurt!
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried all of the suggestions over the course of the fall. Trimmed the line back and whipped a new loop. Washed the line well. Tried adding line floatant. The last several feet of the line are still sinking.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Blindcasting wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I've tried all of the suggestions over the course of the fall. Trimmed the line back and whipped a new loop. Washed the line well. Tried adding line floatant. The last several feet of the line are still sinking.
Last time I went out and fished, I took a look at my Airflo Troplcal Punch Bruce Chard. It slowly sinks in the last few feet. But I use fluorocarbon butt, 40# normally, and that might be the reason for the sinking. I didn't try it with nylon monofilament butt. Maybe you already use nylon, just another idea to try.

I never really use surface flies out in the saltwater, so I guess this is why I never noticed the sinking before. I don't notice things until they become an issue for me either casting or fishing.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I like Rio Redfish line, too.
But if you really want to solve fly line swamping, try a furled leader made from nylon mono (Rio Redfish line with mono furled leader on this reel)
jakehardgrave

Post by jakehardgrave »

I recently switched from Rio to Scientific Angler warm redfish and I've been casting better since then. Who knows maybe its all in my head...
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

probably not - there are likely differences in the belly design that work better with your casting stroke.

If you need to cast long distances, long-belly lines like Mastery Bonefish are designed for it, but if you want to quickly load a rod and hit your close target, short-belly lines like redfish lines are better.