Fly fishing Tampa Bay

Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Fly fishing Tampa Bay

Post by Piscator »

Has anyone fished or fly fished south Tampa Bay? I got a wild hair to think about fishing a fly fishing tournament for redfish in January. I wanted to do a road trip somewhere with the new poling skiff. It will depend on keeping the dates open and getting off work and fish 3 days.

I have been researching the areas and reports trying to build a fly list of patterns and colors. Looks like our patterns will work, just tied with different colors. If anyone has any experience, I would appreciate you sharing anything about the area. It will be different to fish an area with 3 foot tide level change. Supposedly the water is very clear during the winter and sight fishing works very well.
flydoc

Re: Fly fishing Tampa Bay

Post by flydoc »

Site fishin reds in Fl. is much more difficult than south Texas. Just not that much backwater to cover and lots of boat traffic and snowbirds.
I like nite snookin on the ICW anywhere from Sarasota to the Venice Inlet which is rated a 10.. Dock lites , bridge fenders and resturants with underwater lites all hold big #'s. Incoming tides are best and really turns on the frenzy with snook feeding on the baitfish passing thru the lites. Small white streamers get slammed when drifted thru.
20lb. flouro tippet needed and check it after every hookup cause they flare there gills when they leap. Fish in a barrel most nites. GL
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

A friend of mine that lives in Ocala FL fish the Red Fish tournament and has for a few years
And this is the fly he has me tie for him and he use it behind a popping cork in the Tampa Bay area
Attachments
IMG_0010.JPG
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

Salty Bum wrote:A friend of mine that lives in Ocala FL fish the Red Fish tournament and has for a few years
And this is the fly he has me tie for him and he use it behind a popping cork in the Tampa Bay area
That fly looks a little familiar. I really like the painted eyes, the off-centered pupil looks great.

Depending on my work schedule I may have to try the lower Laguna Madre instead. That fly should work anywhere.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

Piscator wrote:
Salty Bum wrote:A friend of mine that lives in Ocala FL fish the Red Fish tournament and has for a few years
That fly looks a little familiar. I really like the painted eyes, the off-centered pupil looks great.

Depending on my work schedule I may have to try the lower Laguna Madre instead. That fly should work anywhere.

It does work