Cabelas CGR deals

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Cabelas CGR deals

Post by karstopo »

Just in case you ever want to give fiberglass a try, Cabelas has their CGR series on sale for $65. I ordered the 5/6 wt. (already have the 7/8wt and 4/5wt). Cabelas is being acquired by Bass Pro Shop so this rod may not be around much longer.

I realize a 7'6" rod is not something everyone will want to have, but it works well for me standing in the WS Commander and fits nicely within the confines of the kayak. I find shorter rods are just easier to handle and land fish and whatever distance you might lose doesn't really come into play at least here on the Upper Texas coast. The 7/8 wt. can throw big heavy flies well and does fine in the wind. The 4/5 at 7' hardly takes up any room and is fun to cast and fight fish on. I'm looking to the 5/6wt to be my primary redfish stalking rod on all but the windiest days. Anyway, at $65, the risk in not liking the rod is pretty limited. Comes with a nice rod tube, too. Free shipping until November on orders over $99. (I do not work for Cabelas)
StrykerDM

Re: Cabelas CGR deals

Post by StrykerDM »

I love these rods too. I second the motion about picking one up. I have a 7/8 and a 5/6 and they're awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cougmantx

Post by cougmantx »

I've got a 4/5 and 7/8 on the way.
Rotag

Post by Rotag »

Inwent to cabelas today picked up a 5/6 CGR for 49.00
I got the large arbor. #2 wind river reel for 19.00
I also got the 74.00 wt forward scientific angler line for 34.00

Took advantage of the 10% off for Veterans Day

Just over 100.00 I have a ready to fish CGR awesome deal hope to
Try it out tomorrow
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Rotag wrote:Inwent to cabelas today picked up a 5/6 CGR for 49.00
I got the large arbor. #2 wind river reel for 19.00
I also got the 74.00 wt forward scientific angler line for 34.00

Took advantage of the 10% off for Veterans Day

Just over 100.00 I have a ready to fish CGR awesome deal hope to
Try it out tomorrow
I saw that they went down to $49. Might be moving them out as BPS takes over.
volintexas

Post by volintexas »

Would y'all recommend the lower or higher of the two line weight ratings? I bought the 7/8, and I just switched over a reel with an 8wt line, but I plan on adding a new reel and line at some point.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

volintexas wrote:Would y'all recommend the lower or higher of the two line weight ratings? I bought the 7/8, and I just switched over a reel with an 8wt line, but I plan on adding a new reel and line at some point.

I first put on some SA bonefish 7wt line, but way better liked either 8wt Rio bonefish or Airflo Tropical punch in 8wt.
Rotag

Post by Rotag »

Man I love this rod wish I had maybe gone with 4/5

But it handled all 7 bad 2 catfish and a bunch of perch just fine.

I was discouraged at first but once a slowed down and let the rod work it was
Awesome to cast
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I received my 7/8 yesterday along with one of the Cabela's RLS reels (on sale also). Great looking rod. I want a couple of 7'6" rods to fit in the rod holders of my Shadowcast 16. Nine foot rods are too long without taking the tip piece off. I am looking to get a 7'6" Marshfly Nano for Christmas.

Currently researching a good mid-priced line to use on the glass rod for saltwater.
volintexas

Post by volintexas »

Piscator wrote:I received my 7/8 yesterday along with one of the Cabela's RLS reels (on sale also). Great looking rod. I want a couple of 7'6" rods to fit in the rod holders of my Shadowcast 16. Nine foot rods are too long without taking the tip piece off. I am looking to get a 7'6" Marshfly Nano for Christmas.

Currently researching a good mid-priced line to use on the glass rod for saltwater.
Could you post a follow up with what you find regarding line for the 7/8wt? I am currently searching for the same thing.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Sierra Trading post has some of the top makers higher end lines on sale, around 1/2 price more or less. You may not be able to find your particular weight, but just in case.
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

Rotag wrote:Man I love this rod wish I had maybe gone with 4/5

But it handled all 7 bad 2 catfish and a bunch of perch just fine.

I was discouraged at first but once a slowed down and let the rod work it was
Awesome to cast
Yeah first time I fished my cgr I didn't realize how slow the action was. Took a bit of tuning my cast to fit it.

Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

Rigged my 7/8 wt up couple of days ago and did a little casting. Not bad. Sometimes I was trying to pick up too much line, but that was operator error. Took it along today fishing, but never used it. I lay rods in the reclined passenger seat of my truck and the CGR fits without breaking it down. Nice.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Piscator wrote:Rigged my 7/8 wt up couple of days ago and did a little casting. Not bad. Sometimes I was trying to pick up too much line, but that was operator error. Took it along today fishing, but never used it. I lay rods in the reclined passenger seat of my truck and the CGR fits without breaking it down. Nice.
Right now I'm carrying my 5-6 wt and 7-8wt CGRs and a 6-8wt TFO minimag. I keep all 3 strung and ready at my feet in the Kayak.

Tuesday I was out on the water and warming up and target practicing with the 5-6wt and the switched to the minimag. Good grief, what a difference! But I seemed to be able to adjust my stroke pretty quickly.

I'd rather fight a fish and do a lot of casting with the fiberglass rods. The minimag is nice for big heavier flies in the wind and quick shots. The 5-6wt CGR seems like enough rod for stalking redfish. I put less weighted flies on it. I'm using the Cabelas Best line in a 6wt. I like how it casts on the 5-6wt. I've only put lower slot reds on the 5-6wt, but it's plenty good enough for those.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I picked up the Cabela's Prestige Plus while I was in a store in MN last week. They had no saltwater line in that store. I fish 80% of the time in brackish and freshwater. I need to start going fly rods only on some trips. After Chistmas I'll have two 7.5' rods and one 9'. Rig them with different flys. Dreaming of taking a few days in January and going to Tampa Bay for fishing and a red fish flyfishing tournament.