Gulp minnow fly

Dageaux1977

Gulp minnow fly

Post by Dageaux1977 »

I love catching flounder. I love catching flounder on my fly rod more. I know clousers tend to do the trick with a fly rod, but I wanted to make something similar to what I caught flounder on a conventional rod with. I know a lot of people use the florescent yellow and the hot pink gulp minnows to catch flounder, so here is my version.

1. jig hook w/ bend 3/0
2. Conehead
3. articulated spine bodies
4. Pat Cohen medium creature tails
5. flash
6. Medium pearl chenille (Hot pink or Florescent yellow)
Attachments
DSC_1816.JPG
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: Gulp minnow fly

Post by MobyYack »

beautiful....i use those gulps and theyre very effective on flounder
Dageaux1977

Post by Dageaux1977 »

MobyYack wrote:beautiful....i use those gulps and theyre very effective on flounder
I know, I pulled a lot flounder on them. I just have to wait till the flounder run in Oct to try it out. I made about 4 different versions per color
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Looks good. Now you have to figure out how to get them to smell like Gulp. That is why they work. The juice!!! Think about it. Have you ever seen other chartreuse grubs like Gulp's that catch lots and many breeds of fish? It's the smell.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

berkeley sells the sauce separately....
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yeah but regular grubs DO NOT soak up the juice to stay in the lure like a gulp grub has. The tiny pores in the gulp let it absorb the juice and release in water. That is why they shrivel up and are a bitch to get off when dried out to a hard crusty piece of plastic. You could put some Shrimp gel that works great on artificials for smell.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Those look good. I like to catch flounder on the fly too. 60° Jig hooks are good. I think my best fly for flounder is a shrimp fly with a rattle built in.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

kickingback wrote:Yeah but regular grubs DO NOT soak up the juice to stay in the lure like a gulp grub has. The tiny pores in the gulp let it absorb the juice and release in water. That is why they shrivel up and are a bitch to get off when dried out to a hard crusty piece of plastic. You could put some Shrimp gel that works great on artificials for smell.
nice call on the gel
i saw some of those here:
http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/scent- ... ing/771964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have heard of those ones but I read more on this one being the one that works best...
And this one....
Do It
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Do It »

I tied these to target flounder but unfortunately haven't had the opportunity to use them yet.
D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dageaux1977

Post by Dageaux1977 »

Do It wrote:I tied these to target flounder but unfortunately haven't had the opportunity to use them yet.
D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking flies. Same here, gotta wait till Oct to see if they will work. Mine are nothing special, just an oversized wooly booger. Just the closest to the gulp minnow that I could make
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Both look great for flounder!! You have to let us know how they do. I know they will catch but they look like they will bring in a big girl!
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

Flounder live on the bottom and the down side to your flies is that they are not weedless.

Find a picture of Jim Greens's Flounder Candy, it is made correctly and is weedless. Picture is in Berlockers book Texas Saltwater Flies.

Jim Green is a biolgist and knows a bit about flies and fish.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

Now that's it's october, any reports on your fly? Did it work? I'm very curious.
cougmantx

Post by cougmantx »

I tied a bunch of these in a varying patterns yesterday.
Russ in Rockport

Post by Russ in Rockport »

As something of a fly fishing purist, I myself frown on all this talk of "Gulps" and "sauce" and "jig heads". Personally, I will only cast dry flies, up current, to flounder that I have previously observed sipping bait on the surface. And I only engage in this type of fishing while wearing a woolen tweed coat and and tie, and puffing on a clay pipe. Just my opinion.

Russ
elnaco

Post by elnaco »

Russ in Rockport wrote:As something of a fly fishing purist, I myself frown on all this talk of "Gulps" and "sauce" and "jig heads". Personally, I will only cast dry flies, up current, to flounder that I have previously observed sipping bait on the surface. And I only engage in this type of fishing while wearing a woolen tweed coat and and tie, and puffing on a clay pipe. Just my opinion.

Russ
Don't forget a matching tweed hat like this

And when one of those flounders rises and sips your barbless dry fly off the surface you exclaim "HUUUZZAAAAAA!!!" whilst trout setting the hook.
FishDFly wrote:Flounder live on the bottom and the down side to your flies is that they are not weedless.

Find a picture of Jim Greens's Flounder Candy, it is made correctly and is weedless. Picture is in Berlockers book Texas Saltwater Flies.

Jim Green is a biolgist and knows a bit about flies and fish.
If they're tying them on those jig hooks they should be more or less weedless or at least ride hook point up which is more what I'd want for bouncing a fly along structure.

On that note, where yawl buying those 60 deg jig hooks? The only ones I can find are eagle claw ones and aren't sold in packs of less than 100 or so.
cougmantx

Post by cougmantx »

LMAO...that's good. Dry flies for Flounder while they are sipping them from the surface. Got a chuckle out of that.
Russ in Rockport

Thanks, cougman. I probably should have added that I do make an exception for gigging the suckers!

Russ
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

Russ in Rockport wrote:As something of a fly fishing purist, I myself frown on all this talk of "Gulps" and "sauce" and "jig heads". Personally, I will only cast dry flies, up current, to flounder that I have previously observed sipping bait on the surface. And I only engage in this type of fishing while wearing a woolen tweed coat and and tie, and puffing on a clay pipe. Just my opinion.

Russ
Creepin' on Russ and snapped this pic of him, but he'd put his pipe down for the moment.

Russ in Rockport

Finn,

Now that's funny right there--your picture is way more hilarious than my post ever could be! You have to wonder what that old boy would think if he saw some dude perched on the bow of a 25 foot flounder boat with a freaking fighter plane engine and holding a big-a$$ 12 foot gig with enough lights for a Hollywood set!

And I love those nets they carry. I have no doubt that guy could land a 30
pound salmon without getting his woolen socks wet. If he ever saw me trying to cast my 12 weight on the jetties, he would probably decide that he and I were different species.

And he would be right!

Which reminds me--whenever my wife and I go to Europe,
she tries to get me to "go fishing"--you know--brown trout in the Alps--trout on an English Chalk Stream--that sort of thing. I keep telling her you have to have a guide and it would be way too expensive. Finally, she sent me a link about some 2-week stay in a Scottish castle with her going on tours and me fishing for Salmon every day with my own Ghillie. So I said "Fine! I want to go--get online and get a price!"

About 20 minutes later, I heard a desperate gurgle emanating from her office.

I'm not very smart but I know if a place requires references, I ain't gonna be allowed to fish there! I mean, the first time I reached around to scratch my backside, the British Prime Minister would probably recall their ambassador. And John Kerry would sic the IRS on me!

And Hell's Bells! Even if I managed to catch one of their hoity-toity, ten-thousand pound Sterling fish, what are the odds they would let me fry that sucker up with French fries and hush puppies?

(I hope I have not hijacked his thread too awfully!)

Russ
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

elnaco wrote: On that note, where yawl buying those 60 deg jig hooks? The only ones I can find are eagle claw ones and aren't sold in packs of less than 100 or so.
https://www.terminaltackleco.com/prod_detail_list/11/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saltwaterflies.com

Terminal tackle sells in 100 or 1000 type of quantities. But the duratin Mustad 60 degree hooks in sz 2 and 4 are $8.50 per 100.

Saltwater flies sells the eagle claw in small lots. Their smallest listed size is 2.
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

Russ in Rockport wrote:Finn,

Now that's funny right there--your picture is way more hilarious than my post ever could be! You have to wonder what that old boy would think if he saw some dude perched on the bow of a 25 foot flounder boat with a freaking fighter plane engine and holding a big-a$$ 12 foot gig with enough lights for a Hollywood set!

And I love those nets they carry. I have no doubt that guy could land a 30
pound salmon without getting his woolen socks wet. If he ever saw me trying to cast my 12 weight on the jetties, he would probably decide that he and I were different species.

And he would be right!

Which reminds me--whenever my wife and I go to Europe,
she tries to get me to "go fishing"--you know--brown trout in the Alps--trout on an English Chalk Stream--that sort of thing. I keep telling her you have to have a guide and it would be way too expensive. Finally, she sent me a link about some 2-week stay in a Scottish castle with her going on tours and me fishing for Salmon every day with my own Ghillie. So I said "Fine! I want to go--get online and get a price!"

About 20 minutes later, I heard a desperate gurgle emanating from her office.

I'm not very smart but I know if a place requires references, I ain't gonna be allowed to fish there! I mean, the first time I reached around to scratch my backside, the British Prime Minister would probably recall their ambassador. And John Kerry would sic the IRS on me!

And Hell's Bells! Even if I managed to catch one of their hoity-toity, ten-thousand pound Sterling fish, what are the odds they would let me fry that sucker up with French fries and hush puppies?

(I hope I have not hijacked his thread too awfully!)

Russ
Say what you will but it's still on my bucket list to attempt to complete the Macnab- it's the Scottish version of the grand slam. You land a salmon on the fly, bag a red stag, and shoot grouse all in the same day.

I will admit to owning more than one tweed hat like posted above and I will get all gussied up in tweed & neck-tie to do it.

Say what you will but these dudes have style. Retiring to a comfortable lodge and enjoying good whiskey around the fireplace afterwards is another plus in my book.

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

You guys are way too funny! Almost sprayed my tea when I read this - which of course would have ruined my crumpets....
cougmantx

Post by cougmantx »

I to own a couple of tweed hats and we're getting to that time of year when I break them out. After a summer of ball caps I have to admit I really like tweed. :D