What did you tie today?

cougmantx

Re: What did you tie today?

Post by cougmantx »

I was able to do some tying yesterday during the rain... have a long ways to go but enjoying it.

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Some #14 parachute Adams and royal coachmen. In sweaty anticipation of chasing grayling in Alaska next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I like thr red and black ones on the left! Very nice ties!

Thought I would tie a ribbon fish imitation to use on kings offshore. This should do well and was easy to make. Used 3M double sided tape with reflective side tape stuck to it. and the exposed areas left used finger nail transfer art. It comes right off on the sticky tape and makes it look like fins.
Added the treble hook rig and I am set. Will report on how well it does.
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Some #14 parachute Adams and royal coachmen. In sweaty anticipation of chasing grayling in Alaska next month.

Nice! I love tying some dry flies. Makes me feel classy.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I'm ready to tie again, especially seeing these great flies. All my tying stuff is packed up in boxes as we make our move across town. My folks gave me a great streamer with mallard flank feather sides, a chennile body and bead chain eyes. Unfortunately, I lost it on an underwater snag but not before catching a really nice bass.

The plan is to reverse engineer the pattern from memory since I couldn't find it anywhere online. I want to do some salt water versions, too.
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

karstopo wrote:I'm ready to tie again, especially seeing these great flies. All my tying stuff is packed up in boxes as we make our move across town. My folks gave me a great streamer with mallard flank feather sides, a chennile body and bead chain eyes. Unfortunately, I lost it on an underwater snag but not before catching a really nice bass.

The plan is to reverse engineer the pattern from memory since I couldn't find it anywhere online. I want to do some salt water versions, too.
It wasn't articulated was it? There's a grumpy muppet streamer that uses mallard flank on the sides.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

StrykerDM wrote:
karstopo wrote:I'm ready to tie again, especially seeing these great flies. All my tying stuff is packed up in boxes as we make our move across town. My folks gave me a great streamer with mallard flank feather sides, a chennile body and bead chain eyes. Unfortunately, I lost it on an underwater snag but not before catching a really nice bass.

It wasn't articulated was it? There's a grumpy muppet streamer that uses mallard flank on the sides.

I looked up that grumpy muppet. No, that's a lot fuller and articulated. The fly I'm looking for has those mallard flank cheeks like the grumpy muppet, but hardly anything else.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Some #14 parachute Adams and royal coachmen. In sweaty anticipation of chasing grayling in Alaska next month.

My two very favorite dry flies. When fishing the small streams around Big Sky Montana, I almost use an para Adams exclusively. Coachman have been my go-to in the small lakes in the Rockies. Unfortunately, my ties don't look nearly as good as yours. However, they do catch fish.......,now and then.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

You're too kind, Kayak Kid. My flies are messy and unkempt. Like me. But from a distance they look ok. Here are some size 16 orange ashers I whipped up earlier today to tempt trout and grayling on my adventure to Alaska next week.

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Back to the vise after lots of travel, work, hurricanes, and the usual stuff. Filling up a small tailwater box for a trip to Utah next week.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Looking good there, Cuervo. Are those mop flies I see?

Your flies always look good.

I'm about to start ordering flies from wherever. I just can't bring myself to figure out and then tie what's good for freshwater. I was tossing San Juan worms that I didn't tie in the flood waters today just to be outside and away from problems. I would love to escape from the gravity of Harvey as I'm sure about 99% of the rest of south east Texans would.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I hear you, Karst. My company's offices are shut until further notice, but my business trip was planned months ago. So I'm happy to be going to Utah for a couple of days, but uncertain about what the future brings for everything else. Strange days indeed.

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Because nobody else does, I tied....SPUDDLERS! Size 4. Good for trout, bass, and wowing people who like "old school" patterns.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I'm wowed. Those SPUDDLERS look fishy.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

The electric chicken. Restocking my redfish stash.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Hmmmm, pretty! Nice work.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Been restocking the redfish armory and it's set to go for tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to spot some tails....giggity.

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Darn Cuervo, My flies just don't look like yours. My inartistic talent extends to my fly tying. Yet, I do manage to snag a fish now and then with mine.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

What did you tie today?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Kayak Kid wrote:Darn Cuervo, My flies just don't look like yours. My inartistic talent extends to my fly tying. Yet, I do manage to snag a fish now and then with mine.
All that matters is the fishes' opinion. My flies look ok as long as you don't look too closely at them! They're "Picasso" flies...look good from a distance, make you sick to your stomach up close!

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I always like how Cuervo's flies look, especially some of those fresh water patterns.

I used to have a great private detached tying room where I turned out mostly abominations, but occasionally some the fish liked. I haven't figured out where to tie in the new place that won't require additional medication for the wife being the neat nick she is. My stash of shrimp is dwindling so I need a solution fairly soon.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Some feathers to tie with Image

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Some #18 midge larvae ahead of a trip to Colorado.

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Cuervo,
My last trip to Colorado, found me spending most of my time slapping my fly line on the surface of the very heavily fished Blue River near our house in Breckenridge. I tied up some # 8 deer hair caddis and some #28 bead head nymphs.

Approaching the rivers edge on my knees and casting from behind bushes, I had continued success by dropping the bead heads about 8 inches below the caddis. Tying the 28's is a bit of a challenge at first, but, not so difficult with the proper equipment.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Messy deer hair divers for the LMB. Did 6 and water tested 3. Less material, less buoyancy, duh! Enjoyed tying them and even missed a bass on one. Image

StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

karstopo wrote:Messy deer hair divers for the LMB. Did 6 and water tested 3. Less material, less buoyancy, duh! Enjoyed tying them and even missed a bass on one. Image

Nice! Check out those green hair packers sold by pat Cohen...things work amazing for getting tight deer hair bodies.