What did you tie today?

texasag07

Re: What did you tie today?

Post by texasag07 »

You can also tie similar flies by just tying in thin clumps( smaller than pencil sized) on the top and bottom of the shank. With this method you use get less material and give a little more space between the clumps so the finished fly is less dense. Being less dense will help it sink faster and make it easier to cast, while still giving it a large side profile view.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

I wish we could all find a place and rent it out for a long weekend and of course fish together but more important all gather at the table and tie flies together after a good dinner and learn from each other. I think (really know) that would be a hell of a weekend.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Salty Bum wrote:I wish we could all find a place and rent it out for a long weekend and of course fish together but more important all gather at the table and tie flies together after a good dinner and learn from each other. I think (really know) that would be a hell of a weekend.

I could do this.
texasag07

Post by texasag07 »

Tying some for late summer trip to the mountains of NW Georgia.
Purple on purple haze's

Foam caddis

Sulphur/yellow drake spinners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
texasag07

Post by texasag07 »

Lot of 12 of my Swiss army minnows I tied up for forgotten coast fly shop
ImageImage

Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

karstopo wrote:
Salty Bum wrote:I wish we could all find a place and rent it out for a long weekend and of course fish together but more important all gather at the table and tie flies together after a good dinner and learn from each other. I think (really know) that would be a hell of a weekend.

I could do this.

maybe sometime in October
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Salty Bum wrote:
karstopo wrote:

I could do this.

maybe sometime in October
Werd.

StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

texasag07 wrote:Lot of 12 of my Swiss army minnows I tied up for forgotten coast fly shop

I like...what's the head dubbed with? Is that just craft fur?

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

StrykerDM wrote:
texasag07 wrote:Lot of 12 of my Swiss army minnows I tied up for forgotten coast fly shop

I like...what's the head dubbed with? Is that just craft fur?

I bet it's that Congo Fiber he mentioned. Looks wrong for craft fur.
texasag07

Post by texasag07 »

Yeah it's Congo hair or you could use ep. That one is just built by stacking in clumps of Congo or ep on the top and bottom of the shank and then trimming afterwards( similar to how and ep baitfish goes together).

The ones that weren't shown were done with a homemade dubbing brush. In the end they come out looking the same. The dubbing brush just makes it a touch easier to get an exact copy when tying multiples that need to look the same.
elnaco

Post by elnaco »

Salty Bum wrote:
karstopo wrote:

I could do this.

I'd be down for this.

I'll toss out a suggestion. Lydia Ann Fly Masters tournament is Oct. 1st down in Aransas Pass. If I end up fishing it, which I most likely will, I'll probably go down there mid week the week before to pre-fish and goof off. My family has got a place down in AP with a big open downstairs area where we could tie a few flies, sip cocktails, smoke cigars and swap lies. Just tossin it out there.
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

Are we doing another fly swap anytime soon?

Walker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Anegada (Caribbean - N18°44.683' W64°24.133') and Clear Lake City (Houston area)

Post by Walker »

Spoon flies. October soon come.

SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

Walker wrote:Spoon flies. October soon come.

Those are nice Walker!
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

I'd be down for this.

I'll toss out a suggestion. Lydia Ann Fly Masters tournament is Oct. 1st down in Aransas Pass. If I end up fishing it, which I most likely will, I'll probably go down there mid week the week before to pre-fish and goof off. My family has got a place down in AP with a big open downstairs area where we could tie a few flies, sip cocktails, smoke cigars and swap lies. Just tossin it out there.[/quote]

I would be all over this but I will be in Lusk, WY. chasing Mule Deer and Antelopes starting Sept. 29th.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Salty Bum wrote:I'd be down for this.

I'll toss out a suggestion. Lydia Ann Fly Masters tournament is Oct. 1st down in Aransas Pass. If I end up fishing it, which I most likely will, I'll probably go down there mid week the week before to pre-fish and goof off. My family has got a place down in AP with a big open downstairs area where we could tie a few flies, sip cocktails, smoke cigars and swap lies. Just tossin it out there.

I would be all over this but I will be in Lusk, WY. chasing Mule Deer and Antelopes starting Sept. 29th.[/quote]

I've got a similar "problem". California trip the 30th, then an Elk hunt in New Mexico right when I return from San Diego.
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

You guys tie some fantastic flies. I've been quietly lurking in the shadows of the TKF Fly section for awhile now, but figured y'all deserve some props. I especially enjoy seeing Karstopo's shrimp flies and the awesome reports that come with them.

Where, if anywhere, do you get those little shrimp antenna eyes in Houston? I went to a brick and mortar that I figured would have them, but didn't see them anywhere...and of course I just made an order online. Hate to waste a shipping charge on one little pack of shrimp eyes I forgot to order.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

What did you tie today?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Salty Bum wrote:I'd be down for this.

I would be all over this but I will be in Lusk, WY. chasing Mule Deer and Antelopes starting Sept. 29th.
Buddy of mine got married outside of Lusk in July. Small world!

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Mddauby wrote:You guys tie some fantastic flies. I've been quietly lurking in the shadows of the TKF Fly section for awhile now, but figured y'all deserve some props. I especially enjoy seeing Karstopo's shrimp flies and the awesome reports that come with them.

Where, if anywhere, do you get those little shrimp antenna eyes in Houston? I went to a brick and mortar that I figured would have them, but didn't see them anywhere...and of course I just made an order online. Hate to waste a shipping charge on one little pack of shrimp eyes I forgot to order.

Which eyes are you referring to? If you are referring to mine, and thank you for your kind words, I make mine from glass beads I purchase from Hobby Lobby and 60 pound mono. I just burn them into the mono. I've also made mine from layers of UV cure and a little micro glitter mixed in, but those don't hold up as well in the fish's mouth.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

These come in something like 100 colors. My wife always seems to need something at Hobby Lobby and I tag along and typically pick up a novel color every time
Attachments
0830160741a-1.jpg
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

This glitter is something I sometimes sprinkle on my flies as I apply the very thin layer of UV cure to the shrimp's back. Just makes the shrimp flash a bit more in the water.
Attachments
image.jpg
Yoffione

Post by Yoffione »

This has been my go to topwater fly this summer.

When it isn't happening on top I tie a shad on.

StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

Yoffione wrote:This has been my go to topwater fly this summer.

Nice deer hair work. Those can be tricky to tie.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Yoffione wrote:This has been my go to topwater fly this summer.

When it isn't happening on top I tie a shad on.

That deer hair topwater fly looks nice. So does the shad. Looks like EP or a similar fiber. Hook looks different. What hook is that tied on?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I saw flounder guru's post about big ol flounder and plenty of them caught on gulp mantis shrimp in white/chartreuse so I tried to tie a fly version. I chose .025 lead wire to weight them vs a tungsten bead.

Tungsten beads get a little heavy to chunk all day. Maybe the lead wire will get the fly down enough without being a bit of a drag to cast. Size 4 jig hook. Still have plenty of the tungsten beaded ones for deeper stuff. Looking to exploit the >1' to <3' zone.
Attachments
0830162049a-1.jpg