What did you tie today?

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

What did you tie today?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

With the soggy weather and my monumental inertia this weekend, I've settled in to wrap some flies. In a couple of weeks I'll be traveling to Colorado, so I'm restocking my midges and Baetis. Here's some #20 Sparkle Wing RS-2's in olive.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445703645.009226.jpg
So...what are you tying?
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: What did you tie today?

Post by Kayak Kid »

I'm going to tie up some black red fish flies. Lots of rubber legs and antennas. #4's.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I do a lot of my tying at 4 am when I get up too early from various body betrayals. Instead of tying when it happened this morning, I was reading John Gierach's "All Fisherman are Liars" and he writes about tying here and there.

Those flies look like they ought to do the trick. I think the last time I tied was Thursday morning when I cranked out several wired Sliders, some on #2 SC-15, and some on mustad big game D-70 #2.
Attachments
image.jpg
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Nice flies Cuervo! I just finished tying up a dozen rs2's myself. Getting ready for the upcoming Guadalupe river trout season. :dance:
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

What did you tie today?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Nice slider Karst!
And yeah...its been awhile since I've fished the Guad for trout. Might have to give that another crack this winter. My best fly there has been either a #4 natural rabbit zonker or a #20 Flashback Mercury Black Beauty.
Don't be shy now!
Post them pichers!!!
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

I tied my shoes :mrgreen: and went to work
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

larry long shadows wrote:I tied my shoes :mrgreen: and went to work
My sympathies.
I sat in my underoos and tied some #20 Mercury Flashback Pheasant Tails. Because really, you can never have too many of these when out hunting trout in the Rockies.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445787571.594886.jpg
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Once again nice flies! Flashback pheseant tails are on my list to tie here soon.

Thanks for the fly recommendation. I decided to tie some up for myself.
An Rs2 from yesterday.
elnaco

Post by elnaco »

Cuervo Jones wrote:
larry long shadows wrote:I tied my shoes :mrgreen: and went to work
My sympathies.
I sat in my underoos and tied some #20 Mercury Flashback Pheasant Tails. Because really, you can never have too many of these when out hunting trout in the Rockies.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445787571.594886.jpg
Dang Cuervo those look awesome. Any interest in trading some flies? I need to build up my trout fly arsenal for the winter and don't know how to tie delicate patterns like. An interest in trading some of them pheasant tail nymphs for some crack flies, crab flies or any other saltwater patterns you may be interested in?
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Heaps of thanks, elnaco Grande.
A trade could be fun. Maybe we can get a few other tiers involved (looking at you Karstopo and godoe). I'm trying to fill my boxes for a trip in a couple of weeks, but after that we should try to put something together.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Heaps of thanks, elnaco Grande.
A trade could be fun. Maybe we can get a few other tiers involved (looking at you Karstopo and godoe). I'm trying to fill my boxes for a trip in a couple of weeks, but after that we should try to put something together.
I've only tied a few cold water patterns. Some buggers, some prince nymphs, some Eva foam + hackle unnamable (no G rated name) dry fly patterns and almost all of these now reside in a relative's dwelling in Colorado I have some dubbing by the handful, in Adams grey, in unopened packaging that I would happily trade for some magic beans or maybe a few crab flies.

Then also I could bring along my mountain of streamers, hi ties, dead head minnows, and other abominations that belong on the island of misfit flies. Many of these are from my cubist or surreal periods and are sure to be attractive to fish that appreciate flies in the abstract. Most have never seen the light of day, literally, and it is my very real and specific fear that one day after my departure from this Earth, my heirs and assigns will find these and my legacy will then be greatly diminished.

I do have a considerable stockpile of flies that have found a following with a variety of inshore fish. I can crank these out like Thomas Kincade can produce prints. And like Kincade, these flies may not be fine art, but they seem to be able to close the deal. Any way, long story short, too late for that. I'm in on the swop
rockin4m

Post by rockin4m »

well.... I tied up my boots. and went on-line and ordered a 1/2 dozen black zebra bead heads from big Y. and also a 1/2 dozen olive colored wooley buggers.

some day when I have time I will sit down tie these fly's. someday!!
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

I'm game for a fly swap - let me know when

SB
Frreed

Post by Frreed »

I haven't done a fly swap in a long time. Count me in.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

What did you tie today?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

This future swap is shaping up. Salty and Frreed, thanks for stepping up and stepping in. I'll mull the details and we can figure something out in a couple of weeks. For now, the foul weather kept me hiding indoors, so like the self-loathing masochist that I am, I tortured my eyes, wits, and manual dexterity skills by tying some #28 (that's not a typo) black beauty midges. Smallest I've ever tied. Thankfully, I mostly weave redfish and tarpon flies these days. If I had to wrap midges for the rest of my life, I'd go on a killing spree.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446242408.877891.jpg
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Cuervo Jones wrote:This future swap is shaping up. Salty and Frreed, thanks for stepping up and stepping in. I'll mull the details and we can figure something out in a couple of weeks. For now, the foul weather kept me hiding indoors, so like the self-loathing masochist that I am, I tortured my eyes, wits, and manual dexterity skills by tying some #28 (that's not a typo) black beauty midges. Smallest I've ever tied. Thankfully, I mostly weave redfish and tarpon flies these days. If I had to wrap midges for the rest of my life, I'd go on a killing spree.
First time I ever heard of a size 28 anything was this very afternoon while reading a John Gierach book and here you are tying a size 28 midge. For now, I've decided to avoid tying anything like that or even seriously thinking about cold water trout fishing because I might end up liking it too much and I'm too old and committed, entrapped, to go off and be a trout bum.

Those midges you tied look great even if I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just have a feeling.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

What did you tie today?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

To save myself from going blind and/or insane, today I moved up to some larger (#14 and 10) bluegill flies. Hoping to try them out on my 3 wt. tomorrow at the lake.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446345720.270303.jpg
Also some #6 Black Ghosts (oldies but goodies). Hope the bluegills and kin approve.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446313077.633632.jpg
Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

karstopo wrote:
Cuervo Jones wrote:This future swap is shaping up. Salty and Frreed, thanks for stepping up and stepping in. I'll mull the details and we can figure something out in a couple of weeks. For now, the foul weather kept me hiding indoors, so like the self-loathing masochist that I am, I tortured my eyes, wits, and manual dexterity skills by tying some #28 (that's not a typo) black beauty midges. Smallest I've ever tied. Thankfully, I mostly weave redfish and tarpon flies these days. If I had to wrap midges for the rest of my life, I'd go on a killing spree.
First time I ever heard of a size 28 anything was this very afternoon while reading a John Gierach book and here you are tying a size 28 midge. For now, I've decided to avoid tying anything like that or even seriously thinking about cold water trout fishing because I might end up liking it too much and I'm too old and committed, entrapped, to go off and be a trout bum.

Those midges you tied look great even if I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just have a feeling.
It's nice to see another Gierach fan on here. I love his books and I think I would really like his lifestyle. Now if I could only find a way to make a living doing it.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Bayoutalker wrote:
karstopo wrote:

It's nice to see another Gierach fan on here. I love his books and I think I would really like his lifestyle. Now if I could only find a way to make a living doing it.
I guess I've been in a cave somewhere because I only recently discovered him. There is a lot in his stories that I can relate to and some of it is about fishing.
Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

I have read almost all of his books and I enjoyed all of them. Another book I think you would enjoy is Flyfishing Through The Midlife Crisis by Howell Raines. It is the only fishing book he has written but he did a great job.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

I'm ready and have mine tied already.
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

I'd be willing to get in on a fly swap as well. Never done it, but why the heck not. Let me know when.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

Salty Bum wrote:
I'm ready and have mine tied already.

Depends on how many join the swap......but i can tie more NP
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Those Black Ghosts look killer.
Is the white wing material crimped nylon?
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

NativeSon wrote:Those Black Ghosts look killer.
Is the white wing material crimped nylon?
Thanks man. Yeah, it's some kind of funky, 80s kinked hair-style synthetic I bought years ago for streamers. Can't remember what it's officially called, but it makes nice wings and bodies.